HCCA - new webmaster - site updates

Hi All,

Many of you know me as the administrator and moderator of these AACA forums. (25 years and counting!)  I'm also involved the administration of the VCCA.org and other car club related websites.  As of Oct 1, I am now also the webmaster for the HCCA!

The HCCA.org website went through a pretty significant update/upgrade in the past week.  The biggest change was new software that runs the classifieds.  I've already received some great comments and feedback (both positive and negative).  I'll address feature requests and cosmetic changes as best I can.

Tracy Lesher is providing me a huge collection of photos to start a gallery.  I'll have that live in the coming weeks.

The site will soon have instant access when you join or renew. A significant change from the old site.  

I'll announce the new features as they go live.

I always appreciate constructive criticism and feedback.  Feel free to email or call me anytime.  petergariepy@gmail.com. 520-247-5918

Peter Gariepy

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/13/2023 at 8:25 AM, Peter Gariepy said:

Hi All,

Many of you know me as the administrator and moderator of these AACA forums. (25 years and counting!)  I'm also involved the administration of the VCCA.org and other car club related websites.  As of Oct 1, I am now also the webmaster for the HCCA!

The HCCA.org website went through a pretty significant update/upgrade in the past week.  The biggest change was new software that runs the classifieds.  I've already received some great comments and feedback (both positive and negative).  I'll address feature requests and cosmetic changes as best I can.

Tracy Lesher is providing me a huge collection of photos to start a gallery.  I'll have that live in the coming weeks.

The site will soon have instant access when you join or renew. A significant change from the old site.  

I'll announce the new features as they go live.

I always appreciate constructive criticism and feedback.  Feel free to email or call me anytime.  petergariepy@gmail.com. 520-247-5918

Peter Gariepy

Peter,

When the HCCA started putting classified ads on the web site, I was the National President. That was 2001. It was on hell of a fight with the then Gazette editor, but I did win out. Also in that process, all classified car ads were to have the price of the car in the ad. No unpriced ads were allowed. Somehow that has been lost. I for one would like to see the priced ads as was the boards direction in 2001. Personally, no matter how interested in a car listed with no price I just move on to the next ad. Members should not have to waste time calling, leaving messages, just to find out the price is out of their range. The seller knows what he wants for the car so put in the ad. I find that a fare share of ads with no price are way overpriced and there is the reason the seller does not publish the price.

Regards,

Howard Musolf

HCCA National President 2001  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, brasscarguy said:

Peter,

When the HCCA started putting classified ads on the web site, I was the National President. That was 2001. It was on hell of a fight with the then Gazette editor, but I did win out. Also in that process, all classified car ads were to have the price of the car in the ad. No unpriced ads were allowed. Somehow that has been lost. I for one would like to see the priced ads as was the boards direction in 2001. Personally, no matter how interested in a car listed with no price I just move on to the next ad. Members should not have to waste time calling, leaving messages, just to find out the price is out of their range. The seller knows what he wants for the car so put in the ad. I find that a fare share of ads with no price are way overpriced and there is the reason the seller does not publish the price.

Regards,

Howard Musolf

HCCA National President 2001  

I'll require the price be included.

• Like 5

On 11/8/2023 at 6:02 PM, Peter Gariepy said:

I'll require the price be included.

And location. If you live in Fla, it would have to be a very special car to go to Seattle. 

Price & location are two of the most important variables to determine if there is a need to contact the owner, IMO and many others.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Peter - 

A comment on the member and car search -It's fast, but it returns all names / cars to the viewer first thing, causing a lot more data transfer than desired, and slows performance a lot on a slow connection.  Just displaying the search box, and only returning the desired data would be more efficient. 

Hopefully it will be possible to clean up some of the inconsistent data errors, like having both AB and Alberta in the address records, and 3 different versions of Abbot Detroit, and 3 of REO (REO, Reo, R E O) in the drop down list.

• Like 3

I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere, but will the legacy forum remain on the HCCA site and be searchable, or will its contents be merged with this site so that it can be searched from here?  There's a lot of good info on the legacy site, it would be a shame to lose it.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2023 at 6:06 AM, cudaman said:

I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere, but will the legacy forum remain on the HCCA site and be searchable, or will its contents be merged with this site so that it can be searched from here?  There's a lot of good info on the legacy site, it would be a shame to lose it.

It will remain indefinitely as-is. Merging it into the AACA forums unfortunately isn't possible.