Restoring plastic…recommendations?

DrData

My wife’s 1981 280zx is about 99% original and still presents beautifully, with one exception: the black plastic front bumper cover appears dull, washed out and needs restored. Rather than starting at one end of the aisle at NAPA and working my way down, I was wondering what product(s) might be recommended for restoring color and sheen.

Thanks in advance

• Thanks 1

First determine what type of "plastic" it is.  It's like saying "wood" or "metal."

If it's textured unpainted black, it's most likely "TPO"(thermoplastic olefin), microscopic rubber domains in a polypropylene matrix.  It can be painted, but only with steps to improve paint adhesion to PP.  Talk to a repair shop that paints modern fascia covers.  Then make sure you have flattening agent adding to the color coat.  The initial gloss was probably (educated guess) 4 - 10%.  It was not shiny, but it was not ultra low gloss either.

• Like 2

Bryan,

Thanks for the info. It is definitely unpainted black plastic. Not sure what chemical compound Datsun may have been using 40 years ago.  All I know is that “Back to Black” from a well known mfg does not bring it back.

There is a plethora of paint products for matte black bumpers and trim. I've found SEM brand to be among the best for plastics. Note that surface prep is extremely important to getting paint to adhere to plastic. A thorough wipedown with wax and grease remover is mandatory. SEM sells an adhesive promoter for flexible plastics as well.

• Like 2

I havent used SEM on anything exterior but have used it extensively for interior trim stuff. It is a very good product, But yes follow the directions. Adhesion promoter, clear on top etc. 

IF the product in question just needs a finish I would look into something like that. If it needs repaired check out a company called 'Polyvance'. 

• Like 1

I have had success with CRC "Tyre Shine". It comes in spray cans and goes on as a foam, wipe off when the foam all disappears and the plastic parts look great for months after.

Why do you want to paint an OEM front bumper cover that is made out of rubber??

Motorsport - theZstore.com - Est. 1979

Factory Front Bumper Cover, 79-81 280ZX

Factory Front Bumper Cover, 79-81 280ZX

Part #:32-1007
Price: $499.95
See Description
Availability: Unfortunately, this item has been discontinued by Nissan. While we had previously located a limited number of these OEM Front Bumper Covers through one of our overseas suppliers, we have not been able to acquire more of them in some time. While it can be uncommon, we do come across ultra-rare or otherwise hard-to-find parts like this once in a while. We'll update this page if we are able to locate more. Give us a call with any questions at (800)633-6331.

Includes:
  • (1) Front Bumper Cover

Description:
This genuine, original equipment (OEM) rubber cover installs over the front bumper reinforcement.

Availability Note:
Ever since Nissan discontinued production of these Front Bumper Covers over two decades ago, inventory of these bumper covers has been limited. Although it took some time to locate them originally, we were ultimately able to find a limited supply of these genuine Nissan bumper covers in Canada. Like many items that we source from Japan or other areas around the world, these bumper covers may not be in stock at all times. If we are currently out of stock, be sure to check back in case we have located another supply.

Model Guide:
Datsun 280ZX

Code Guide:
Datsun S130

Year Guide:
1979, 1980, 1981
Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 1

If the parts are available that is certainly a good choice and one worth looking into. I know nothing about the quality of Z parts but do know that the aftermarket bumper parts for trans ams are horrible at best. Some are not available (74/75 rubber). I always try to use original stuff if it salvageable, aftermarket as a last resort.

On 10/4/2023 at 7:06 PM, Pfeil said:

Why do you want to paint an OEM front bumper cover that is made out of rubber??

To make it look new, of course!

Why post a link to an unavailable product?

15 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

To make it look new, of course!

Why post a link to an unavailable product?

You don't paint over a rubber bumper, they came naturally flat black from the factory like you see in the picture, however there are some products that can be used to rejuvenate rubber.

I posted the link to a fellow Datsun/Nissan enthusiast because the Z store has many products for that car of his, also if that bumper can be found in quantity or if someone gets around to reproducing it that company will most likely have it. It's called looking out for each other.

41 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

You don't paint over a rubber bumper, they came naturally black from the factory like you see in the picture,

I have no experience with Datsun/Nissan bumpers, but GM "rubber" bumpers are molded in a yellow material and painted black. I have seen far too many where the black paint had worn or weathered off and the yellow base material was showing through. This one is from a 79-81 Firebird.

image.png.9bc15174d4a860d4e1727589f8307856.png

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

I have no experience with Datsun/Nissan bumpers, but GM "rubber" bumpers are molded in a yellow material and painted black. I have seen far too many where the black paint had worn or weathered off and the yellow base material was showing through. This one is from a 79-81 Firebird.

image.png.9bc15174d4a860d4e1727589f8307856.png

Yes, that is like the filler portions of GM cars of the mid 70's onward. GM was using this as a fill measure between the chrome bumpers and the body like the ones that seem to go bad on Cadillac rear ends.

image.jpeg.0f0482321fe8038ced951dffbfd6f79e.jpeg

The Nissan/Datsun are real /synthetic rubber though.