Identifiing 1940 Pontiac

jack lemmon

Information tag says Style #40-2827C Body# L 61 Trim# 94 Paint #82 I think its a Deluxe 8 Coupe But can't find a vin# and it came with only a bill of sale  Found a water pump and a head gasket only because I found web sites with  Pictures   Needed a thermostat and got two  of the wrong ones from Autugeek  What do i call this thing  Where do I find the VIN # and its not under the battery on the frame.  HELP

Jack Lemmon:

To get the correct answers from those specifically knowledgeable about Pontiac flathead eight, addressing your question on this forum section will get the most accurate answers:

Pontiac Flathead Owners - Antique Automobile Club of America - Discussion Forums (aaca.org)

The Pontiac Owners Club Internation (POCI) also has an Early Times Chapter for Pontiacs from 1926-1954.  Good luck with your 1940 Pontiac project.

Steve

1 hour ago, jack lemmon said:

What do i call this thing

The style number tells you exactly what you have. It's a big deal in the Pontiac world, more so than the year and model(!). I'm afraid I won't be much help with that, but if you post down where @58L-Y8 suggested, someone will either know or have a new enough book. 1940 is a popular year in the club.

The reason it is often difficult to tell what you have is that Pontiac had 3(!) different body sizes available in 1940. Engines were the six and eight as usual.

Needed a thermostat and got two  of the wrong ones from Autugeek

Are you aware of the retainer ring? The thermostat does not mount in the usual way. It goes way up inside the thermostat housing and is retained by a ring. The retainer ring rusts and is often found missing. Even if they sent the right one, it wouldn't be much use without the ring. I recommend checking with California Pontiac Restoration for the thermostat and ring. Call, don't rely on the website. Their rings are stainless. You can sometimes find NORS plain steel rings on Ebay. No matter what ring you buy, it will probably need to be cut down. Different years used different depths of ring, I'm not sure what year the tallest one fits, but I'd be shocked if you don't have to cut it down to fit no matter who you buy it from.

https://www.pontiacparts.net/

Where do I find the VIN # and its not under the battery on the frame. 

There should be a frame number and an engine number. They do not match. No VIN really as far as I know. The engine number is at the left front of the block, facing the side, on a stamping pad. It was used for the title or registration in many states. That is not desirable obviously, but it was done a lot. Use the frame number if you can. I don't know where it is in 40. On my 36, it is on top of the drivers side of the frame about 3/4 of the way to the firewall. I remember seeing the number on a different year Pontiac on the drivers side of a crossmember up at the front of the engine compartment. It's probably a long skinny aluminum tag riveted on, with just the frame number.

The clubs for these cars are:

http://earlytimeschapter.org/  Includes all Oakland and all flathead Pontiac (through 1954).

https://www.oaklandpontiacworldwide.com/  Is an AACA chapter that includes all Oakland and Pontiac through 1958.

EDIT: I found the list, but Style 2827C isn't in it. Could it be 2927C? Or maybe 2827B?

http://earlytimeschapter.org/vehicles1926-1954stylecodes.pdf

When you post in the Pontiac section, post pics of the car if you can. You may need to post some close ups too, if people ask. I recall 2 years ago seeing 2 black 1940 coupes parked next to each other. I don't think if they were a block apart a passerby would notice the difference. One was Chevrolet-sized and the other larger. Parked next to each other, the shape of the rear quarter window, the rear corner of the coupe roof, and the shape of the body around the tail lights were the most noticeable differences.

Welcome to the forum!

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

Thanks  for the help  I'll check the # on the tag and refer to the Web you reccomended  I'll have to figure out how to post pictures.  My latest after Head Gasket valves and water pump I realise I don't have a blinker lever on my steering column  UGGH  This is gonna be a challenge Thanks for the help

As you can see the Style No is 40-2827C Additionally I included (thanks to my wife Jean) pics of the other body peculiarities,  Rear window and gas tank in the rear driver side, and the vent on the passenger side door jamb.  Looking to Identify this car so I can find Blinker Lever and hardware for the steering column, Emergency Brake Cables, Floor Pan for front drivers side and replacement pan for removing Floor Heater.  The wheel span is 120 in. I think and have been told it's a Deluxe Eight Business coupe.  The Eight cylinder has split pairs of spark Plugs instead of evenly spaced.  Suggestions or anyone interested in selling or directing me to prospects willing to sell 

I don't have good enough books to figure out the exact model. As I mentioned, there are 3 body sizes. Two of them were parked next to each other at the 2022 Flathead Reunion. In all cases, look closely at the quarter window and the shape of the back of the roof.

N2AyLM5.jpg

Unfortunately I do not have style numbers or any underhood pictures that might show the style number on the body tag. The small one (third car) in the first pic is an A body, and the middle one is apparently(?) a B body.

z38WE5c.jpg

AtXZVW6.jpg

VimqXiB.jpg

NlHNiND.jpg

QpCXJBd.jpg

Here are pics I found online that claim to be a "Torpedo" (C body) .

1940_pontiac_torpedo_coupe_15432399009f9

59406123-770-0-2x-jpg.162173

59406139-770-0-2x-jpg.162174

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Spot the difference!

Fuel fillers are on opposite sides, and one has exposed boot hinges, the other concealed. One appears to have wider running boards but it may be the camera angles. Boot (sorry TRUNK) lid on one appears flatter, the other more curvaceous. Am sure there are other subtle differences that I missed.

In Australia the Silver Arrow was built on the smaller body whereas the Chieftain used the larger body. 

Am sure the real Pontiac owners will chime in here!

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀

• Like 1

Style #40-2827C

40 = 1940

2 = Ponti (1 Chev, 3 Olds, 4 Buick)

8 series ?

27 body style  [2 door]

Body L61

Think that means assembled in Linden, NY 61st body (not 100% certain)

A body mainly Chev

B body mainly Buick

C body mainly Caddie

But the basic body shell was used over different brands - models

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_A_platform_(RWD)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_B_platform

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_C_platform_(RWD)

• Like 1

Series 29 is the "C" body. Cadillac, Buick, 90 series Olds, and Pontiac series 29. Built in coupe like the Green one in the picture below, and also in the four-door sedan below. That's all just two body styles. You can always tell these cars are "C" bodies. Door hinges concealed and the windshields are slanted further back

59406123-770-0-2x-jpg.162173

1940 PONTIAC TORPEDO TOURING SEDAN - Original Factory Issued Postcard <notice there is no quarter glass for a more formal rear passenger area.

The car in question is a series 2827C is a "B" body deluxe eight-cylinder coupe. Built in Linden New Jersey. If it were a 2827B It would have been a deluxe eight-cylinder, single seat business coupe.

"B" body 1940 shared by Buick, Olds, Pontiac.

• Like 1

Just a FYI and not related specifically to this post. In 1941 Pontiac and Chevrolet enter a new "A" body 4 door car model into the "A" body lineup. It's styled with the same roof design as the "C" body which means no quarter glass behind the rear door for that formal roof. Pontiac calls it the Metropolitan Sedan.

Here is the 41 "C" body custom;

image.jpeg.ec5370ad579e4988e54c7bfbdd0f9eb7.jpeg

Here below is the new "A" body Metropolitain Sedan mid-year addition,

image.jpeg.deea6581ca770f15b4a363450d395760.jpeg1941 Pontiac Torpedo Sedan for sale: photos, technical specifications,  description

The "B" body sedan with the rear quarter glass below

Pontiac 1941

• Like 2