Battery dress up kits

Deanoko

I recently bought a new 27F battery.  In the process of trying to make it look period correct I ran into 2 terrific products from Wescar out of Belgium   The first is a set of 6 Delco yellow push in caps.  The second is a big DELCO decal.  Both are reasonably priced, as is the shipping.

They can be found on eBay or order directly off their website.

No affiliation.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313049749118?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=GU9wpP2uQBy&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=h9rhYDBHSAW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Screenshot_20230927-093234.png

Edited by Deanoko (see edit history)

The yellow plastic caps, believe it or not disintegrate in a year or two. The kit is a reasonable price. I bought mine a period back and individually the cover and pressure sensitive DELCO label cost more than your kit.

I measured so the posts fit through the holes in cover. I do remember the cover did not fit flat on the battery top. I had to modify something to make the fit look good. Certainly doable or I would have remembered the hassle.

The vinyl label can be tricky to apply without a wrinkle. I had “ atomic” glue I used to attach the vinyl label to the battery without a wrinkle. I’m doing the same drill on another battery for another car I have.

I bought the extra battery yellow caps I got from a website that sells the look alike DELCO battery.

The black paint on the DELCO cap wears off as well.

Turbinator

Edited by Turbinator (see edit history)

Interesting about the disintegration problem.  Time will tell here, I guess.  I wonder if the plastic doesn't like the acid. 

I'm quite good at applying large decals so don't see that being an issue. 

I have a gig on eBay selling 3M Scotchlite reflective decals, which I make, for the rears of motorcycle hard bags   My advice is to use painters blue tape to position it where you want.  Then peel off a strip of the backing and trim it off.  Affix that area and then, with just a sweeping motion of the finger from side to side, while peeling the remaining backing off, apply the rest   Seems to do the trick without bubbles or creases. 

1 hour ago, Deanoko said:

I recently bought a new 27F battery.  In the process of trying to make it look period correct I ran into 2 terrific products from Wescar out of Belgium   The first is a set of 6 Delco yellow push in caps.  The second is a big DELCO decal.  Both are reasonably priced, as is the shipping.

They can be found on eBay or order directly off their website.

No affiliation.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313049749118?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=GU9wpP2uQBy&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=h9rhYDBHSAW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Screenshot_20230927-093234.png

What band of 27F battery did you purchase?  It would be nice to know what batteries have the flat tops. 😁

Could very well have been acid in the disintegration. Time slips by, but I’m sure it’s been at least 3 years since I had the Delco caps crumble. It’s great the maker fixed the problem.

initially I bought the look alike Delco battery. The look alike battery failed in about two years. Then I bought the Duracell automotive battery and put on the top and decal on. 
I will post the pic when I find it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If your battery terminal looks like this........ I will deduct every time.    

Owners spend thousands to restore their car and for some reason go cheap in battery cables. 

So far I have never judged the Riviera class.  

1967PontiacGTOConvertible.jpg

• Like 1

Can anyone tell me when the manufacturers of battery cables stopped making cables with different sized clamp ends for the different sized battery posts?  That was originally done for a reason.  The batteries are still made with different sized pos and neg posts, why can’t the cable companies follow suit? 

Yes.  Pretty easy to peel off and put on the forward face behind the grill. The big DELCO decal on the rear face covers the new Duracell one nicely. They also provided a smaller service tag sticker which I will probably apply, but need to do a little research on where it went, or if there was even a standard placement. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Good day.

In another discussion thread I was flipping through the brochure for the 1963 Riviera and the image below is one of the pages. On the battery clamp there is an embossed 'P', gotta assume positive (though cabling is black) Does anyone have original clamps, does the negative clamp have an 'N'. Also interesting are the posts are to the front of the car, which I suspect the orientation was eventually changed from the brochure car after they figured out what caused the electrical system to fry...

Again, don't recall ever seeing the clamps embossed like that, (if the P is indeed for Positive)...

EDIT: Also just noticed the Delco letters are black... (again, may have been for the brochure car only...??)

Source: https://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/Buick/1963_Buick/1963 Buick_Riviera_Brochure/dirindex.html

Later, 

1963 Buick Riviera-06.jpg

Edited by MikeJS (see edit history)

I’ve got the same brochure with the same picture and I’ve wondered about the P as well. But I can tell you that the orientation of the battery is correct.  It is a group 27 battery.  Here is an illustration from a service bulletin which shows running the positive cable between the hold down bolt and the battery itself. This was done to keep the positive battery cable from rubbing against the bell of the four note horn possibly causing a short. It also shows the positive cable as being red and the negative cable as being black. But it does answer your question about the stamped P in the cable. Hope this helps.

Ed

IMG_1229.jpeg.e4855bcfb55630015766556f89c0b255.jpeg

Has anyone who has replaced their battery cables been able to find cables with the different sized ends for the different sized posts on the battery?  If you look at the ends of the cables in the picture, you’ll notice that one fits squared up on the post but the other is squeezed beyond square to fit the smaller post.