Will 1953-54 Skylark Wheels fit a 1949 Roadmaster?

Dan O

Greetings!

Is the bolt pattern the same?  I found a set of apparently OEM wire wheels with SKYLARK on the spinners and decent Coker bias ply tires mounted.  I do not see any damage and the chrome is good.  Tires are older - date code is "129" which I assume is 12th month of 2009 since they were mounted pre-2014.

I think these would look great on my '49 convertible.  And yes, I have read the discussions on here regarding truing the rims and balance and difficulty keeping clean but I have always wanted a set of wires on something!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

I think you should make sure the hub diameter of the rim will be big enough to fit your hub.

That should not be a problem since the centers on wire wheels is larger than steel wheels making them lug-centric vs hub-centric on the steel wheels.

Hint:  cut the heads off a couple of lug nuts and cut slots in the ends to make it easier to line up and mount the wires.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, old-tank said:

That should not be a problem since the centers on wire wheels is larger than steel wheels making them lug-centric vs hub-centric on the steel wheels.

OK, but is the bolt pattern going to match up from the newer '53-'54 wires to my older '49? 

And the '49 uses lug bolts that screw into the wheel hub - is that the same on the '53-'54 or a problem?  I bet the '53-'54 has the lugs on the hub, right?

5 hours ago, Dan O said:

Greetings!

Is the bolt pattern the same?  I found a set of apparently OEM wire wheels with SKYLARK on the spinners and decent Coker bias ply tires mounted.  I do not see any damage and the chrome is good.  Tires are older - date code is "129" which I assume is 12th month of 2009 since they were mounted pre-2014.

I think these would look great on my '49 convertible.  And yes, I have read the discussions on here regarding truing the rims and balance and difficulty keeping clean but I have always wanted a set of wires on something!

Hi Dan O

Those tires are from the 12th week of 1999 or 1989 or 1979. After the year 2000, the codes were four digits 2 digits for the week of the year and 2 digits for the year. 

Hope this helps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, FireballV8 said:

Hi Dan O

Those tires are from the 12th week of 1999 or 1989 or 1979. After the year 2000, the codes were four digits 2 digits for the week of the year and 2 digits for the year. 

Hope this helps.

1999?  These tires look like they have not been driven many miles but 1999 was a long time ago for a tire - that changes the trade if I need to swap out tires.  I have included a photo - are those actually Buick factory wheels?

369215033_7100634266648200_508291880059496597_n.jpg

10 minutes ago, old-tank said:

Old bias tires are fine as long as they look good and are not flat spotted, but those  L78-15 Coker Commanders are horrid tires even when new.  You will curse every revolution.

I don't know much about old bias ply tires longevity so any info is appreciated.  I have some great looking old Denman Classics with no apparent tread wear  I think they date from, what, the 50th week of 1993?  Or 1983?

So, those are reliable at 70 mph??  I use one as a spare as you see,

Denman Date Code.jpg

IMG-5899.jpg

IMG-5901.jpg

IMG-5900.jpg

7 hours ago, Dan O said:

I don't know much about old bias ply tires longevity so any info is appreciated.  I have some great looking old Denman Classics with no apparent tread wear  I think they date from, what, the 50th week of 1993?  Or 1983?

So, those are reliable at 70 mph??  I use one as a spare as you see,

Denman Date Code.jpg

IMG-5899.jpg

IMG-5901.jpg

IMG-5900.jpg

In my opinion i can't understand why someone would run 30+year old tires.

Especially to 70 mph.  If one cares not for their own safety at least think of the possible victims in the car next to you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

All GM big cars used 5 lug on 5 in bolt circle for years.   Certainly everything after WWII  when the intermediate cars came out

in 1962 those were all 5 lugs on 4 3/4 bolt circle.   The only exception I can think of was the Corvair was only 4 lugs from 1960-1964 and in 1965 they went to 5 lugs on 4 3/4 bc.   That would mean the Cadillac design wire wheel would also fit your Buick

• Like 2

15 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

In my opinion i can't understand why someone would run 30+year old tires.

Especially to 70 mph.  If one cares not for their own safety at least think of the possible victims in the car next to you. 

I did not say I wanted to run the old tires to 70 mph.  I just was asking for clarification on the roadability of older bias ply tires...  Harumph!

• Like 2

Realize you're no longer considering them but will just say, I'd have to see the wire wheel rims without the tires before spending near that for them. Rust could be a problem where the spokes mount to the rim. And by the way, I just mounted a set of new/20 year old tires to a set of KH for the 54 Roadmaster but as of right now it isn't running. Will change out once running.

• Like 1