Circa 1960 Street Scene what do you see, lots of Big 3

Gunsmoke

Starting with the easy ones, a 55 Ford soft drink truck, followed by a 58 Pontiac. Then a 56 Chevy.  The one beside the VW is a 50-ish Ford.  From the right looks like a 60 Chevy impala convert under the tree. I think that's an Olds 54?  second behind the convertible.  Coming at us across the street looks like maybe a 59 Chev on the curb and a 55 in the inside lane. 

Don't know what the 2 smaller cars are on the right.

Thanks for all the identifying, some great looking fresh cars in this photo, I had forgotten how imposing/impressive those '58 Pontiacs were. In the background is the Halifax Citadel, dating from the 1700's, a British Fortress critical to Britain's colonization of North America back in the day as they squared off with the French and Indigenous bands, and later with the 13 colonies in the War of Independence. It must have been an interesting era. A great many of my ancestors migrated to NS as United Empire Loyalists after the 1780's

On 9/20/2023 at 7:59 AM, 8E45E said:

The VW Type 2 qualifies as being an 'SUV'/people carrier, being a window version.   I also see about a 1957 Austin Cambridge sedan in front of the Flxible bus, with a VW Bug on the other side of it.  

Craig

Craig, you didn`t spot the other VW bug.. It`s behind the person on the bicycle.

On 9/21/2023 at 5:50 PM, dictator27 said:

The Austin is actually a 1957-59 A55 Cambrian (our family car 59 to 64).  Next to the upper Esso sign there is a 1956 Hillman Californian.

As per the text, the photo was taken in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Unless it was a tourist from the US, it would have been a Cambridge in Canada (and the rest of the world.)

Craig

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 8E45E said:

As per the text, the photo was taken in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Unless it was a tourist from the US, it would have been a Cambridge in Canada (and the rest of the world.)

Craig

Beg to differ, Craig.  The Cambrian was sold only in North America and for a brief time was sold alongside Cambridges.  As noted above our family car from 1959 to 1964 purchased from Fred Deeley Limited in Vancouver and it was most definitely a Cambrian.  (Name was on the trunk lid.)  The differences between the two models were apparently very minor.

Edited by dictator27 (see edit history)