old car humor

Questions re: old car humor

I am still driving my '38 Packard Twelve (purchased in 1957 for twenty five bucks. 

C'mon...guys....someone come up with some NICE funny responses when I am asked the usual questions like "did you buy it new".....,  "where do you get gas....tires..."  etc....etc...!

I just tell people I can’t afford a new car, so have to drive the old ones.

Getting in my 38 Packard once, a lady says how dare you drive such a valuable car on the road.  I asked her, who was I saving it for?

People ask where you get parts, my answer is that man made the parts once, man can make them again.

I get the question “how many miles per gallon does your Pierce/Packard/Cord get?” I smile and say “who cares?”.

The best series of questions came on a tour in south Louisiana a number of years ago. “What kind of car is that?”  It’s a Cord.  “You mean Ford, I never knew they made something like that!”  No, a Cord, made by the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Company.  “Oh, it’s a German car then.”  NO, made in Indiana, a front wheel drive CORD.  “ Oh, front wheel drive is new, so it’s a replica?”……..sigh, sound of me giving up…..

Then, the prize is taken by the father, walking by my Packard, telling his young son “Wow, there’s a Packard, son, the only European car ever made in the United States!”

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2023 at 8:00 PM, human-potato_hybrid said:

It's true, they patented and trademarked that exact amount of displacement! 🙄

So while Ford soldiered on with their flathead V-8, they let Studebaker use the OHV V-8 first in 1951. Very gracious of them! Then they allowed Studebaker to use the 289 displacement from 1956 to shutdown in South Bend in 1963. Then Ford finally put it in their own cars.  I just haven't read much about Ford changing the engine over from gear-driven timing to timing chain, and moving the distributor from the back of the engine to the front. 🙄🙄🙄

• Haha 1

Talked to a lady with a 1956 Packard Patrician at Hershey this year. She told me one time someone insisted the twin exhaust on her car was not factory. 🙄

What's funny is, it's not like that car just has pipes hanging out under the car. They are integrated into the rear bumper and look extremely factory.

(Example image)

4745494804_b9c2fbc224_b.jpg

Edited by human-potato_hybrid (see edit history)
  • Like 3