Unknown Hudson. Model '46-'47?

bratman81

Hudson's car-bodied pickup in any version is commonly referred to as a "Hudson Big Boy" by enthusiasts, although as I understand it only some of them had that title from the factory. I don't know what the difference is. You might have one of those. They were 6 cylinder powered. You have a "Commodore EIght" hood, and that would be from some sort of a sedan probably, or maybe a coupe. I have to wonder if this is a Commodore Eight sedan that has been cut down into a truck. More pictures out in the light might reveal more about what it is. I think I see a V8 engine, if so it was not born with that. Trucks had inline flathead sixes, and Commodore Eights had flathead inline eights.

@Xander Wildeisen will probably know something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bloo may be right. All trim I see is Commodore . Trucks used super trim. The trucks were sedans cut down at factory and the back cab sections added. There is a floor filler piece at the rear of cab. I'm guessing someone had a really rough factory pick up and a decent Commodore eight sedan and had them Mated. 

Edited by roysboystoys (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This picture shows some funky stuff going on. Down on the running boards, the lower flare has been added on the back of the cab. Inside is all Commodore. With the dash treatment and steering wheel. You can see the truck running board mount sticking out. Guessing it is a truck frame. Bed looks correct. I thought 178 was the first part of the vin for a truck in 47? Get a picture of the back of the front fender where it meets the running boards. Car fenders are different in this area. You can see the flares on the door bottoms in one of the pictures. You have a truck frame, bed and cab. With Commodore dash pieces, commodore sedan doors and complete commodore front end. Who ever did this would have to put the flare on the bottom of the cowl, to blend in with the doors. Doing it this way looks very strange if you do not carry the flare all the way to the rear fender. It has to just stop somewhere. Back of door, back of cab. Makes it look unfinished. Great looking truck, would be fun to button up the loose ends on it.

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The other issue with adding the flared doors on a truck is the flare covers the internal running boards on the passenger cars. The flared doors on the truck will stick out, and kind of cover the external running boards of the truck. Also the trucks have the same rocker design that the 40-41 Hudson cars have. With the external running boards. The whole lower running board area on this truck will be a little funky, with out a bit of custom work done. To blend it all together.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Xander pretty well sums it up. The trucks were essentially the super six trimmings with the exposed running boards.  Very stylish trucks though.  Originally it would have had the 212 cid flathead with splash lubrication and a 3 on the tree. I don't know if the drivemaster was available on the truck or not. That was a self shifting gizmo for the 3 speed tranny.  

Thanks to everyone here we kinda know what to look for next time we are out there. Learned a lot today from all the nice folks on here. Next time I'm out there I'll try to get some pics of the back of the fenders where they meet the running boards so y'all can better determine what's going on here. But sounds like someone had fun creating a unique Hudson truck. Supposedly he has the original straight 8 sitting somewhere as the current V8 in there is definitely not original. Thanks again for all the info as I've learned some cool factoids today

• Like 1