1929 Pontiac Landaulette

Fargoguy

I have always loved the landau sedans/broughams (there is that "B" word again?), most of which in the 1920s American cars did not have tops that folded down in the rear.

Landaulets, real ones where the rear of the top folded down for a fresh air ride for the passengers had actually been somewhat popular with certain upper classes and wannabe upper classes for many years as family town cars (usually chauffeur driven), and as taxicabs so that visitors and local customers alike could feel like they were getting the "Royal" treatment! For early automobiles they were an extension of the horse-drawn carriage days when similar carriages were somewhat common. However by the 1920s, that style for American cars was pretty much considered "old hat". There were always a few exceptions, usually custom ordered during the 1920s. Even most purpose-built taxicabs had fixed roofs for the passengers, although some of those did leave the driver out in the cold.

General Motor's short flirtation with the style in the late 1920s and earliest 1930s always fascinated me.  I have no idea who's car like that I first saw, but I was still in high school at the time. I am fairly sure it was a 1929 Chevrolet. Within a few years, I had managed to personally see about three other Chevrolets and at least one Pontiac. Over the following twenty years, I personally saw three or four Chevrolets, Another Pontiac, and if I recall correctly, an Oakland! I seriously considered buying a 1929 Chevrolet over thirty years ago, in spite of the fact I didn't really want anything built after 1927. I just really liked the durn thing in spite of the fact I knew I would never be happy with it (because of its year of manufacture). So I moved on and bought something else.

In the past twenty years, with the internet, I have seen pictures of several others, usually Chevrolet, but again a couple Oakland/Pontiac as well.

I sure like this Pontiac! Tell your friends it looks great, and hopefully they can enjoy it for many years to come. Tell them "Congratulations" on the refresh!

• Like 1