For Sale: 1958 Pontiac Chieftain Convertible - Green - 61,278 miles - Redmond, OR - Not Mine - Deleted

For sale on Facebook: 1958 Pontiac Chieftain Convertible in Redmond, OR  -  $47,995  -  Must be a member of Facebook to access Seller's contact information.

Link: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/306890291898590/-1958-Pontiac-Chieftain-Convertible

Seller's Description:

1958 Pontiac Chieftain Convertible

• Driven 61,278 miles
  • Automatic transmission
  • Exterior color: Green · Interior color: Green

This beautiful convertible has new interior, paint, top, and Bonneville trim. 370 cu inch motor, automatic, power steering, power brakes.

image.png.41263761ee2c6ea21e45a8b7402c5fa6.png

image.png.df6e067fcd150f05f832fa55e663fb9b.png

image.png.9a7d2e258c1111d4436604e8eafdd03f.png

image.png.b18361d3a87b1a6979dd17276d107794.png

image.png.1a35515bb35b1fd3de7dd3509fa53ee4.png

image.png.b38e07dbef2b9a8fd4e379f3abf30bc0.png

image.png.ba80cc6472a3cc149384823b6b77dfb5.png

image.png.10d482806e0d8105db0e92d9489b2520.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Crusty Trucker said:

Interior upholstery pattern is not even close to original...

An important question:  

The seller says, "This beautiful convertible has new interior,

paint, top, and Bonneville trim."  Of course a genuine Bonneville

would have Bonneville trim.

Is the seller telling us that this is an imitation made from a

lesser model with added trim--and not a real Bonneville? 

10 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

An important question:  

The seller says, "This beautiful convertible has new interior,

paint, top, and Bonneville trim."  Of course a genuine Bonneville

would have Bonneville trim.

Is the seller telling us that this is an imitation made from a

lesser model with added trim--and not a real Bonneville? 

I did a little research and I think you are right. Here's an ad for the same car --- no date posted, so I guess it's current. $2,100. cheaper, too!  It even has the "tri-power" emblem, but no mention of multiple carbs.

No engine pictures, but the Bonneville ran a 4 barrel carb while the Chieftain came standard with a 2 barrel. Engine size was the same at 369.42 cu. in.

Average NADA value for a Catalina convertible is $27,100; Bonneville, $54,800. This is NEITHER.

Auto Round-Up Publications

1958 Pontiac Chieftain Convertible

VEListing-273449-Photo1.jpg?ts=a54c6ef7-8476-445a-b34b-ef1ff1421ecc

Redmond, OR 97756

United States

Price  $45,900.
Condition Fine
Mileage 61,278
Stock Number CCR402
Transmission Type Automatic
Exterior Color
Green
Interior Color
Green
Category  Classic Cars
Description:  
This Beautiful Convertible has the Bonneville trim, new interior , top and paint.. comes with a 370 cu inch automatic, ps, pb.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If you read the Facebook ad the seller is describing the car as a Chieftain convertible with "some" Bonneville trim which is an accurate description. The car looks presentable but it's definitely not an authentic restoration but more of a mishmash of several cars put together to suit the owner's tastes. For instance it has some Bonneville side trim added but no Bonneville rocker panel mouldings or lower quarter panel trim behind the rear wheels. It has a Bonneville/Star Chief dashboard that's missing the clock (an empty hole) and there's no shift lever. It does not have Bonneville front fenders. The interior isn't exactly correct for any model 1958 Pontiac. The hood letters say Bonneville while they spell Pontiac on the trunk. The nitpicking could go on and on, it's kinda like trying to make a Biscayne look like an Impala, a Buick Special look like a Roadmaster or a Chrysler Windsor look like an Imperial. Just something someone made to suit themselves. The attention to detail in the way the car's assembled just isn't there either. It's got a Tri-Power emblem on the front fender (always a very desirable Pontiac option) but no underhood pictures whatsoever. IMO the asking price of $48K for this concoction is just not realistic and is borderline ridiculous. The seller is just fishing...... throwing the line out into the water to see if any suckers will bite...... This will be for sale for a very long time unless there's a significant reduction in price

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

This car looks pretty nice and for what it is I do like it.  But 55ER pointed out the inequities of the car which does affect the price. I don't see 48 grand either. I know that a nice '57 Bonnie convertible will fetch somewhere around a hundred grand but this ain't no Bonneville. So I wonder what the reasonable price for this 58 would be.

Edited by deac (see edit history)

It would be worth more if they had left it alone as a stock 1958 Chieftain convertible and restored it to be as authentic as possible. That's still a very desirable 50s automobile. And the Tri-Power engine option was available in all series Pontiacs, including the low-priced Chieftains, if that's actually what's under the hood.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1958 Pontiac Chieftain Convertible - Green - 61,278 miles - Redmond, OR - Not Mine
On 9/9/2023 at 8:06 AM, TAKerry said:

Very nice car, but agree with 55r. Car was built to owners taste which is fine, I would think 30K+ would be a reasonable asking price for a nice late 50's Pontiac convertible. How many 57 chevys have had bel air trim added?

Cool car.  Everybody starts too high.   The problem is the car gets stale on the market.   Much better to try to hit sweet spot if you can, but valuing cars is really hard to do.  Even for the guys that do it for a living.

• Like 3

I’ve seen quite a few cars over the years where the owners decorate it to suit their personal taste which of course is perfectly fine until you try and find someone else who appreciates your modifications.  It’s true in cars, houses , boats and whatever else can be outfitted to a persons taste.  The market for your mods is small unless the price has wiggle room for the prospective new owner to correct some of these mods.

For me the red flag meter goes full on because there are probably many other things less obvious where sidesteps were taken.  The biggest red flag here is dust, dirt and indoor pics.  Does it even run?

• Like 2

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1958 Pontiac Chieftain Convertible - Green - 61,278 miles - Redmond, OR - Not Mine - Deleted