Interest changes at car shows

Buick35

9 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

2023-08-2918_35.41-1.jpg.ce7beda048505b290f8d4ee8edb1c677.jpg 2023-08-2918_31_55.jpg.c3687c8e9d40821c5545c378a90505cc.jpg

That said, there were quite a few guys who were able to walk past this display and not even seem to notice it. That struck me as odd. How can you miss a Cord convertible and a bright pink station wagon? How can you not want to get a closer look? That was kind of weird.

Yes but honestly while I appreciate some muscle cars, I might do just the opposite, and spend the time on cars like in your display Matt.  I have a couple of die hard muscle car pals who have little interest in any other collector cars or eras.  The point is sometimes our focus narrows a bit  but it's tough to get excited about everything I guess. I bet a lot of your interest came from the casual attendee which is just fine.

Glad the show drew interest though, your two cars represent different eras, etc. Great to get that stuff out to be seen!

• Like 2

Im with you Steve. I have no interest in looking at a new dodge challenger with a jokers face painted on the underside of the hood. Will walk right past. I suppose I am being exclusive in my own right. If I want to look at a new mustang I can peek into my garage. No real interest in looking at new corvettes, but if they are true antiques I will def. show some interest. Likewise I see a lot of people at shows that will walk right past my car and look at the aforementioned.

Good Looking pair of cars Matt.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, 1957Birdman said:

Just to clarify the engines available for the "early" Mustangs, there was a 170 CID 101 HP six-cylinder, a 260 CID 164 HP V8, and two 289 CID V8s, one with 210 HP and one with 271 HP (both of these engines had a 4 barrel carburetor).

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird

I had a 66 with a 200cid six and three at the knee. The car lasted 100 thousand miles of wild and crazy driving, The 200 was a seven main bearing engine.

I think I was 22 when I got it.. and was pretty much a worn out convertible after a few years.  (some guy down the road bought it to go with his wrecked 67 fastback).

But I had yanked the running gear and put it in this 53 Chrysler with rings and bearings that it didn't really need I got another hundred thousand miles out of that 200.

That  "Chrystang" as my drinking buddies called it was a party wagon if I ever saw one.

It got traded off after many years and the last I saw of it some college girl was heading home to Utah with it.

Talk about a misspent youth.

Chrystang 2.jpg

• Like 1

I own a 66 Mustang coupe and 57 Belair.  When i drive the Mustang down the road or it is parked, people always wave and honk or ask about it.  When I have the 57 Chevy, the attention I receive makes the Mustang seem like a Yugo with a lot of rust.  Interesting to see the difference between the two.

• Like 2

I was at a show last month and was captivated by an AMC Spirit. It was a solid 6 out of 10 but I spent 10 times as much time looking at as anything else at the show... Why you ask? I must have seen a dozen Eagles in the last 30 years but not a single Spirit. I spent my early years in the back seat crammed behind my large frame dad in the driver's seat. Family trip! Everybody cram into the AMC! Nostalgia kept my attention on the Spirit long after I'd had seen the other cars. I suspect that has a lot to do with what people are drawn too. 

• Like 4