For Sale: 1964 Oldsmobile Jetstar 1 Sport Coupe - "Runs somewhat well, Crusty from-the-era paintjob" - $5,000 - Columbia, PA - Not Mine - 9/20 SOLD!

For sale on Facebook: 1964 Oldsmobile Jetstar 1 2-door Sport Coupe in Columbia, PA  -  $5,000  -  Must be a member of Facebook to access Seller's contact information.

Link: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/684354376934246/-1964-Oldsmobile-Jetstar-1-Sport-Coupe

Seller's Description:

1964 Oldsmobile Jetstar 1 2-door Sport Coupe

• Driven 101,000 miles
  • Automatic transmission
  • Exterior color: Green · Interior color: White

Behold! Oldsmobile's new for 1964 personal luxury sport coupe, and definitely not trying to copy the Grand Prix, the Jetstar 1!

• One of only 33k, this brand new hunk of questionable pig iron powered by a 394 cubic inch V8 plant could be yours!

If I was a prissy baby trying to fluff this up, I'd be listing off all its new and exciting features like the power seats, center console and all of the option boxes checked back when LBJ breathed oxygen. But I'm not a priss so here's the facts:

• Big ol B body coupe, has been a side project for me for the past few years and I think it's time to move on. Bought it barely running and now it runs somewhat well. Has a new alternator, frame rust repairs done and does run and drive. Definitely needs more work done but that's obvious. It's rusty, it has a crusty from-the-era Earl Scheib paintjob, it's not exactly pretty but for a "RARE" car, it's not terrible.

DM me for questions and offers.

image.png.2195d5f093e273ba1868efe0c97ff10a.png

image.png.9d036e08bee3d1916242c7fe82542341.png

image.png.4499cef54512fb6a53d59c7cf4eb87f8.png

image.png.0546d965c814a383dd84cb9b08a78bd0.png

image.png.48067b806c9bfcd73d3de3c38cb28048.png

image.png.f36ccc7a6d5bb89d526191d2f9a6f32c.png

image.png.c91aecc574901b507e2d67c67e4444ef.png

image.png.5fda998ef8ed25306ef32e4cec192e3b.png

image.png.0b51091b8c1568f747b29b09b83d96f2.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1964 Oldsmobile Jetstar 1 Sport Coupe - "Runs somewhat well, Crusty from-the-era paintjob" - $5,000 - Columbia, PA - Not Mine

IMO a better opening word might be Beware! As in beware the seller that stands high on a stepladder to take pictures showing the shiny top sections of his car while avoiding the sides altogether where the rust would show up. Definitely an Earl Sheib color as that shade is not on the 64 Olds color palette. Those repaired areas in the trunk highlighted by the black rattle can primer are not good signs at least for me. 5K for a rusty car that definitely needs more work and runs somewhat well? I'll pass but GLWTS.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1964. The year of the identity crisis. Jetstar 88s and Jetstar Is. Two cars that couldn't have been more different marketed under too-similar names.

Jade Mist is close but darker, could be lighting. Door panels have been redone. Power windows and seat and tilt steering are nice options.

It's had rust patched in the trunk wheelhouses. Other areas of concern are the frame rear torque boxes and the quarters between the door and rear wheel arch.

Not sure where he got 33000 built. Olds documentation shows 16084 1964 J-I produced. It didn't impact the GP and Galaxie XL as Olds had hoped and may have actually cannibalized Starfire sales.

If the drivetrain is good and rust isn't too bad, good entry level old car. You just have to understand that a Jetstar I is NOT a Jetstar 88, and then try to make a parts monkey understand that too. Otherwise you're condemned to a lifetime of getting the wrong parts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, 6T-FinSeeker said:

...and definitely not trying to copy the Grand Prix, the Jetstar 1!

Huh?  :huh:

The entire roof and glass was lifted directly from the GP.  Same bucket seat/console interior layout (but with the tach on the console).  Nothing wrong with emulating the GP in my opinion!  ;)

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, EmTee said:

Huh?  :huh:

The entire roof and glass was lifted directly from the GP.  Same bucket seat/console interior layout (but with the tach on the console).  Nothing wrong with emulating the GP in my opinion!  ;)

I'm guess he was being sarcastic.

Love the knee-knocker.  If you are watching the tach you are probably in a ditch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The 63-64 (and 65-66) GP, Starfire and J-I roofline was pure Bill Mitchell.

Had Buick not had the Riviera, Wildcat would have probably gotten it too just to amortize the tooling since there were less than 200000 total GP, Starfire and J-I produced over both years. The "simulated convertible" 62-64 2D HT roofline was working great for Chevrolet with Impala SS so they wouldn't have bought into it.

I have a feeling the 57 bodystyle notchback roof might not have worked too well with the Chevrolet X-frame since the Chevy hardtops often show signs of body flex where the roof stamping meets the quarter panel. That might have been Buick's concern too.

After Starfire as a series vanished in 1967, GP had the roofline and glass to itself which was kinda odd for GM because there were less than 70000 GP coupes produced for 1967-68. I don't have Pontiac part numbers for the rear and quarter windows but I would think they'd have had to been same as 65-66 for GM to allow use of the styling for two more years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Love the knee-knocker.  If you are watching the tach you are probably in a ditch.

That was one of the biggest complaints about the B-O-P tach and vacuum gage location on the console. You couldn't see them without looking away from the road. Even when Buick and Pontiac located it on the dash they stuck it off to the side. Chevrolet did it best, right in front of the steering wheel.

Course in 65 even they moved it to the far right-hand dash pod. They should have angled it toward the driver's line of sight like 60s Pontiacs did with their factory gages, but when it replaced the clock in the dash layout I guess the idea was commonality.

• Like 1

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1964 Oldsmobile Jetstar 1 Sport Coupe - "Runs somewhat well, Crusty from-the-era paintjob" - $5,000 - Columbia, PA - Not Mine - 9/13 Pending
  • 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1964 Oldsmobile Jetstar 1 Sport Coupe - "Runs somewhat well, Crusty from-the-era paintjob" - $5,000 - Columbia, PA - Not Mine - 9/20 SOLD!