'50s heater control, but what make and year?

Cadman-iac

I have had this since the early '80s and I have no idea what vehicle it came from. I thought it was for a mid-'50s Oldsmobile, but I'm told by people who own them that it's not from an Oldsmobile. 

I have completely disassembled it to clean and lube it, and to check for any kind of identifiable markings, but it does not have a single number or mark on any of it.

Can anyone identify what this fits? 

Many thanks,

Rick 

20230303_171639.jpg

20230303_171727.jpg

20230303_171609.jpg

Edited by Cadman-iac (see edit history)

"REC" cast into the control for the "AIR" lever makes me think it may be for airconditioning. Possibly aftermarket or dealer installed.

General contour suggests late '50s/early, '60s Chevrolet.

The way this post is formatted I thought at first there wasn't a picture and ignored it until I saw a reply. So I scrolled and scrolled till I finally found the picture.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to reply here; I forgot I had posted this here.

I honestly don't remember if the car it came off of had air conditioning. I suppose it's possible, but the only electrical part on this is the resistor coil on the back of the fan switch. 

Would the air conditioning on a '50s or '60s car not use any electrical components on the control unit itself?

Here's another picture of it/them. I have two, but the second one doesn't have any cables on it.

These are really well made. The parts are not pot metal like what Chevrolet had used in the '55, '56, '57 cars or their '55-59 trucks. 

I know they're not from a Chevrolet from the '50s to the '70s. And it's definitely not from a Cadillac. 

But I'm not familiar with the '50s Oldsmobiles, Pontiac,s and Buicks.

Could it be from a Chrysler product, or another '50s independent manufacturer? 

20230303_171601.jpg

The REC is for recirculate, as opposed to fresh air. Shuts off the outside air intake.

Doesn't look GM to me.

• Like 1

I'm guessing this is late 40s to mid 50s because the wires for the blower resistor are attached by screws rather than a push on connector. Sure looks like it would fit a '55 Chevy, but their controls don't have those big knobs. Wish I could place it.

Edited by Oldsfan (see edit history)

When I first got it, I had planned on using it in my '56 Chevy, but the way it's supposed to sit in the dash didn't match up with the Chevy one. The curve goes farther up on the dash of whatever this came off of. Meaning that it fit, but the knobs are aiming slightly downward when in the Chevy dash.

I really wish I could remember what I got it out of. The second one I found at a swap meet, but the guy who had it didn't know what it fit either.

When I cleaned it up, I completely disassembled it and inspected it for any kind of numbers or markings that would indicate who made it.

Unfortunately, there is absolutely nothing on it that would so indicate. I'm wondering if it might be from a Packard, Kaiser Fraser, Nash (kinda doubt this one), or another lost marque from days gone by. It's got me pulling out my hair.

Is it a Chrysler/ Plymouth/ Dodge piece? I'm fairly certain it's not Ford, they clearly mark their stuff. 

The fan and defrost knobs, and the temp and air levers look very 1953/54 Plymouth/Dodge. 1954 Dodge has a similar panel but there is a third lever for vent, and the fan and defrost knobs are elsewhere on the dash. Also, the defrost knob on the '54 Dodge just says "DEF" and is an electrical blower switch rather than a cable drive like this one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Cadman-iac changed the title to '50s heater control, but what make and year?

Yes, it's close but unfortunately not correct. The curve is different on the Dodge at the top of the control panel. If you look at the picture I posted of the 2 units I have, they are laying on their sides and you can see how they curve from top to bottom. Could it be something from the 60's maybe?