The market in pre-war cars

1935Packard

I'm a Gen X'er. I've owned vehicles built in the 00's, 90's, 80's, 70's, 60's, 50's and 40's. I joked with a fellow yesterday that I'm looking to trade for an older model, but it's true. At some point I'd really like to own something from the late 30's-early 40's; I'd also like to own something from the late 20's-early 30's. I've yet to seriously consider owning a brass-era car, but perhaps someday? 

My next purchase, like most others, will be a driver, and drive it I will. Speed does give me pause when considering earlier models, just because it would alter some of my driving habits. I can make it work, though, I'm confident. 

Personally, I'm grateful for bargains. I think the most I ever paid for a collector vehicle was maybe $5,000. I've owned a string of 49-51's because, well, you can buy a lot of iron for a dollar. It's a bit more of a stretch when looking pre-war, but deals do turn up. Sooner or later the right one will cross my path. (Sure, I'll likely have to open that old wallet a bit wider!)

• Like 3

I'm glad nobody told me and my friends that driving pre war cars is not done much anymore, we had a fine 2 1/2 day tour with twenty-five 1931 and older cars in June, with the Vintage Touring Association of Alberta. Two of the days over 100 miles each. We seek out great roads with little traffic that are fortunately available to us. We feel that getting these cars out and about keeps this segment of the hobby rolling along.

IMG_3251.JPG

IMG_3241.JPG

• Like 14

That tour does look like fun, but driving in a caravan with 25 like automobiles is a lot different than taking a Model T across the county. Visibility is much greater in numbers. I could get by driving a model A in my area with little problem, I would be cautious driving a T or similar vehicle though. 

On 8/23/2023 at 2:25 PM, Soupiov said:

I don't care where you live, unless it's in the middle of a major urban area, there are plenty of roads out there where you can safely drive a pre war or even brass era car if you approach it sensibly.  You just have to do a little planning and avoid rush hour situations. I drive mine regularly just for the fun of it and can't understand why  anyone would want an animate object like a car and not use it as it was originally intended to be used.  Admittedly it is more of a challenge than it used to be but to my way of thinking it is well worth the effort.

I've been involved in this hobby for 50+ years, and have seen many changes in road manners, and not all for the better.  There WAS a time when one could feel safe in a veteran car on a modern freeway in the 1970's, and always got the 'thumbs up!' when a modern car drove past respectfully.  Not to mention, back then, when a driver of a modern car was travelling behind someone in a vintage car, and it started to slow down, he knew exactly where and what to watch for.  (Hand signals?  What are those??)  And on a two-lane road, the majority of drivers in the fast lane would actually slow down to look at the vintage vehicle while they passed it.  Now, anyone who does that receives a horn blast from the guy behind him for not doing the speed limit.   Sure, there is some 'strength in numbers' when a group of vintage cars go for a run, but it should not have to come to that.

Craig

10 hours ago, Bryan G said:

I'm a Gen X'er. I've owned vehicles built in the 00's, 90's, 80's, 70's, 60's, 50's and 40's. I joked with a fellow yesterday that I'm looking to trade for an older model, but it's true. At some point I'd really like to own something from the late 30's-early 40's; I'd also like to own something from the late 20's-early 30's. I've yet to seriously consider owning a brass-era car, but perhaps someday? 

My next purchase, like most others, will be a driver, and drive it I will. Speed does give me pause when considering earlier models, just because it would alter some of my driving habits. I can make it work, though, I'm confident. 

Personally, I'm grateful for bargains. I think the most I ever paid for a collector vehicle was maybe $5,000. I've owned a string of 49-51's because, well, you can buy a lot of iron for a dollar. It's a bit more of a stretch when looking pre-war, but deals do turn up. Sooner or later the right one will cross my path. (Sure, I'll likely have to open that old wallet a bit wider!)

Fellow Gen X'r here. Fleet is currently '40s (46 chevy truck) 50's (52  Chevy Truck)  99 Miata, 98 Corvette, 79 Corvette and...bought my first ever prewar, a trusty '30 Model A, about a month ago. Needs some work but drivable locally- I wouldn't set out on a long jaunt right now, I suspect I'm having some charging issues. I drive everything I have as frequently as possible. The A does make me alter my drive a bit- It's more like herding than driving compared to my 40's and 50's rides. I really wanted a Packard sedan from the late 30's, but the A just grabbed me. Too good a trade to pass up. May get a Packard later...hopefully.

Brass era- I'd love, but the right opportunity hasn't lit yet. As funny as it is, I want something along the lines of an International Highwheeler- the very beginning of motorized history- and I live in a rural area with tons of two lanes and dirt, so I could drive it pretty much anytime I'd want.

I love bargains and trades. I call myself a bottom feeder. I can't afford a show car- got a senior in private high school whose community college and further education is waiting to bite me- but I can tinker with the not pristine, make 'em run, and enjoy the heck outta them. As a bonus, if I park it at Walmart, I don't have a stroke to find some kid standing on the running board.

So, you old guys- said with love and respect- don't panic about your treasures. If the prices keep dropping, we will eventually hook them and love them like you did. Just with a few more miles. LOL

• Like 5