Cost of Paint

I read somewhere recently (maybe Hemmings) where someone restored an early 60's Chrysler and the cost of materials on the paint was $8,000. That type of car might have the largest surface area ever, but it made me wonder if this was now a common price. I realize that I'm an old guy and that fact that I once got a decent paint job on the 911 I was driving for $200 in 1974  doesn't have much to do with the modern world. 

I have a project that (hopefully) will need paint in a year or two and I intend to do my own prep, just like I did on that Porsche, but I'll need a pro to shoot it. What is paint costing these days? 

In May of 2022 I bought 5 quarts to paint my '51 Pontiac Chieftain.The price was 1,020 dollars,tax included.That doesn't include sealer,primer,reducer,activator,and clear coat. The clear coat was $800 a gallon. I can see where a professional paint job is 5k-10k a pop now.

Depends upon what you are going to paint your car in. Lacquer, enamel, base coat /clear coat.

Also the cost of primer, thinner, sand paper, compound if used etc.

In 1973 I ordered Belco nitrocellulose lacquer due to the color I needed, it is imported, at that time was $150.00 per gallon.

• Like 2

A number of years ago I did the model A with Rust-Oleum gallon jug and automotive clear on top, turned out excellent.  On the Buick for the fenders I'll do the same.  For the green body maybe tractor paint?  Oh and for the woke crowd I can now say I have a "green" car!

21 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Red is gonna be high dollar.

This is fact. Red paint be it automotive, oil paint for painting pictures etc was always more expensive then any other paint colors. I first learned that in college when I was studying to be an art teacher. Then again when I was teaching art full time for decades.

There are some very high quality paints/products available that are only well know to those in the custom paint/restoration business.

Here's what I used for the MG TD. (2021 prices)

Automotive Arts - Motobase LV is a fantastic base.   1 gallon of Jaguar 701 (British Racing Green) was $468

For everything else I used SPI (Southern Polyurethane Inc) products.  Their Universal Clear is $132 a gallon and the activator is similarly priced.

I believe if you do some research you'll find that these products are of very high quality.   You can call SPI and they will find a jobber close to you.  For Automotive Arts I used Chad's Paint Supply in New Troy, MI.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Walt G said:

This is fact. Red paint be it automotive, oil paint for painting pictures etc was always more expensive then any other paint colors. I first learned that in college when I was studying to be an art teacher. Then again when I was teaching art full time for decades.

Including yellow?  Another pita color.

I had a friend who collected glass paper weights, mainly Peirpoint I believe was the manufacturers name. He told me to make the color red, gold was required. Not gold coloring but actual gold dust I believe and he said that’s why the fancy and intricate red colored paper weights were always worth more money than all the other colors. Is gold required to make red paint??

9 hours ago, chistech said:

I had a friend who collected glass paper weights, mainly Peirpoint I believe was the manufacturers name. He told me to make the color red, gold was required. Not gold coloring but actual gold dust I believe and he said that’s why the fancy and intricate red colored paper weights were always worth more money than all the other colors. Is gold required to make red paint??

Correct! It's a pinkish red that is only produced by gold. Red in general is a difficult glass color and historically it was a closely held secret from individual glass makers. Today there are some that actually fade badly over time (like red print in an old sign) but others are more resistant. Many of those reds are called "struck" colors because the red does not appear until the glass is headed a second time. Here's some "eye candy" from a factory I was connected with:

• Like 3