For Sale: 1973 Cadillac Sedan DeVille - "All original 2-owner Hardtop always in PA" - "Selling to make garage space for Edsel" - Lansdale, PA - Not Mine - 8/31/23 Reduced - 6/30/24 SOLD to New Member!

For sale on Facebook: 1973 Cadillac Sedan DeVille in Lansdale, PA  -  $12,900  -  Must be a member of Facebook to access Seller's contact information.

On 8/31, Seller reduced price to $11,500

Link: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/677473547585075/-1973-Cadillac-Sedan-DeVille

Seller's Description:

1973 Cadillac Sedan DeVille

• 2 owners
  • Driven 101,500 miles
  • Automatic transmission
  • Exterior color: Brown · Interior color: Black

Very clean 1973 Cadillac Sedan DeVille Four Door Hardtop. All original car. Original vinyl top, original leather interior, and original paint. Not perfect but pretty good. Car was ordered from J L Freed in Lansdale. It was ordered with this special paint, Firemist. It was also ordered with the premium leather package. Tires are Firestone white walls, and very good tread left. The AM/FM radio works as does the inbuilt 8-track tape. My most recent fix up was a new brake master cylinder and a new generator/alternator. Engine is Cadillac’s 472 cubic inch V8. Telescopic and tilt steering wheel. New battery, starts great and a soft ride. Two things need attention: The A/C needs to be recharged and the drivers window needs electric motor or the wiring cleaned. Garage kept almost all its life. Serious inquiries only. I’m selling because I need the garage space for my Edsel.

image.png.4ae57aaf1075bd1ee8c76d3bfe2f267b.png

image.png.7c275a3c5fc21694b7298bd948601ba1.png

image.png.f237e9c1e5e13aede42c78652a202671.png

image.png.fc162e2cdab99f0ecf8b0f7152f3a9b0.png

image.png.83e22126705b6138e8caef82b47fa70e.png

image.png.1db0e8321b0b270330b732873fc42a4f.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I like it but am getting tired of hearing AC just needs a charge.  That’s like saying all the oil leaks out of the motor or transmission but you just need to add oil/fluid.   Fix it! Or at least get it correctly diagnosed so you can adjust price and inform the next owner.  

• Like 3

It’s a 50 year old car with 101k miles on it that’s pretty much all original.  Do you expect every single item to work perfectly?   Most people wouldn’t even use the A/C as it’s just a summer fun car.   To me, the clock, radio, cruise control, and A/C are the least important parts of a collector car as I would never use them.  

• Like 1

I respect your viewpoint but it informs to the cost of fixing AC not so much that a convenience item is not working. Notice I did not mention anything about the drivers window not working.  Probably 75% of Not Mine cars with AC “just need a little charge”.  No - they need charged, pressurized and dye or soapy solution to start identifying the cause of the leak.  Fewer shops are doing older AC repairs because it’s time intensive.  And that is reflected in the few older cars getting “ice old air”.   

It’s a common answer why old car folks shift from non PS, non AC car’s to modern era (1954 on) cars that are easier to drive and tour.  

This seller did get back to me and said the AC has never worked for him and he bought it in 2005.  He has never taken it in for diagnosis. The previous owner simply charged it as needed.  Per the seller.  It’s got a black interior and the AC and power window don’t work. I’m not hopping in it here in Iowa in August for a fun drive.  

It’s a very cool car - to me - but at nearly $13,000 it is overpriced in my opinion.  To complete the repairs you can add $1,500 to $2,500 for - as you mentioned - a car with 101,000 miles when that meant high mileage.  

I owned and enjoyed a 76 Coupe deVille with 60,000 miles, purchased for $5,500 and sold for $3,000 in my divorce sale.  I guess someone will buy this car but I hope they don’t spend $15,000 on it. (Cost plus repairs).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

'73 Cadillacs were good looking cars.  They wore the newly-mandated bumpers much better than many other cars (size probably helped in this regard).  This one wears a particularly handsome color combination.  Price seems high, but maybe the seller has priced-in some allowance for negotiation.

• Like 1

Remember that this car has automatic HVAC climate control.  

So…..you have the compressor, hoses, etc of the refrigeration system AND you have the vacuum, electro-mechanical parts that turn things on/off and move the doors in the system.  

There is a lot going on to make the “air conditioning” function properly.  

It’s not just one thing, it’s a lot of things. 

• Like 2

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1973 Cadillac Sedan DeVille - "All original 2-owner Hardtop always in PA" - "Selling to make garage space for Edsel" - Lansdale, PA - Not Mine - 8/31 Reduced

Might be able to fit two Edsels where this thing is parked!

It’s a pretty car in that unusual color. I don’t really need the A/C but I agree that sellers often downplay A/C problems with the lazy “needs recharge” statement. It’s always more than that. And can you even get R12 anymore? 

The electric window problem doesn’t worry me. After all, I have lived with a Lincoln Continental convertible for over 20 years. 😀

Seems like a lot of car for the reduced price of $11,500.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gearheadengineer said:

And can you even get R12 anymore? 

Yes, at least on the secondary market.

It went away up in price, as you probably know,

after it was discontinued;  but now it has come

down appreciably.  As many systems have been

converted to R134a, there is less demand for R12.

• Like 1

Had the AC system repaired in our 560 SL a few years back, major $$ to pull dash and replace condensor, we did everything but the working compressor, including $250 + worth of R12.  Compressor failed and we converted.  It's ok but not ice cold like the old stuff.  Still nice to blast AC with top down on a 90 degree day... 😁😁

While I prefer the 69 - 70 Caddys these are cool cars as well, you do not see as many 71 - 73s it seems.  Great uncle bought his 73 in dark metallic green the old yankee way, show up in work attire from setting tile all day, get ignored, make offer and pay cash... at 10 I was quite impressed by that car...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gearheadengineer said:

The electric window problem doesn’t worry me. After all, I have lived with a Lincoln Continental convertible for over 20 years. 😀

Serms you should be tired of it by now and ready to move it along to a fellow CT boy...

• Like 1

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1973 Cadillac Sedan DeVille - "All original 2-owner Hardtop always in PA" - "Selling to make garage space for Edsel" - Lansdale, PA - Not Mine - 8/31 Reduced - 9/5 Deleted
  • 9 months later...

I bought this car last weekend.  Bad muffler, definitely an AC charge issue, we'll see how deep that goes, needs the window motor (confirmed that myself), the wood grain inlay on the steering wheel (ordered and on way), a few door striker bushings already replaced (I cannot stand slamming doors that were never designed to be slammed) and will need the front end rebuilt for my driving standards.  Having said all of that, I paid an even more reduced price than listed in this post. I think very far, even with over 100k this car has very clearly always been garage kept.  It's a really exceptionally clean Caddy that absolutely needs work to make it right, but will be worth the additional investment.  Kicked my daily out of the garage and now I've got my light jade luxury group 76 Mark IV and this de Ville.  (the carb is currently off the Lincoln, it's fine, no vacuum issues, typically the doors stay down through the winter without use)

20240628_113752.jpg

20240629_130907.jpg

• Like 7

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1973 Cadillac Sedan DeVille - "All original 2-owner Hardtop always in PA" - "Selling to make garage space for Edsel" - Lansdale, PA - Not Mine - 8/31 Reduced - 6/30/24 SOLD to New Member!
  • 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1973 Cadillac Sedan DeVille - "All original 2-owner Hardtop always in PA" - "Selling to make garage space for Edsel" - Lansdale, PA - Not Mine - 8/31/23 Reduced - 6/30/24 SOLD to New Member!
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Philly19154 said:

I bought this car last weekend. 

Congratulations on the new purchase!

It is a good looking car, and the paint color

adds distinction too.

The items you mention that need attention are

typical things that such a car might need.  I always

figure on spending a bit extra on a new purchase

to address some needs.

If I recall correctly, Consumer Guide for 1973 

achieved an average of 7.5 miles per gallon in

combined city-highway driving.  For the Eldorado,

they achieved 8 average;  and when I had a 1973

Eldorado, I achieved exactly 8--it got 10 m.p.g.

on the highway and 6 m.p.g. around town.

A fill-up of 25 gallons was good for 200 miles of fun.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, Philly19154 said:

...the wood grain inlay on the steering wheel (ordered and on way)...

Can you tell us where you got the steering-wheel inlay,

and provide a link?  I never knew that was available.

Is it specifically made to fit your particular car?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Congratulations on the new purchase!

It is a good looking car, and the paint color

adds distinction too.

The items you mention that need attention are

typical things that such a car might need.  I always

figure on spending a bit extra on a new purchase

to address some needs.

If I recall correctly, Consumer Guide for 1973 

achieved an average of 7.5 miles per gallon in

combined city-highway driving.  For the Eldorado,

they achieved 8 average;  and when I had a 1973

Eldorado, I achieved exactly 8--it got 10 m.p.g.

on the highway and 6 m.p.g. around town.

A fill-up of 25 gallons was good for 200 miles of fun.

Thanks, people definitely stop maintaining and then look to sell, it's expected some things need to be handled imo. Always much better to have mechanicals rather than body or interior though. 

The color was absolutely a factor in the purchase, I know a lot of people like black Lincolns and Caddies, but I'd much rather have the vibrant colors given a choice. 

As far as mpg, it's cliche but I'd rather measure smiles per mile. Two times I've been out with it so far I think I've have shit 6 thumbs up, a few had nobs and beeps and 3, yes 3, red light conversations with people asking about the car. Can't be much worse than my Mark's city fuel economy. Lol

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Can you tell us where you got the steering-wheel inlay,

and provide a link?  I never knew that was available.

Is it specifically made to fit your particular car?

bdamc@comcast.net

https://www.youtube.com/@cadillacsteeringwheelinlay1586/videos

I found the YouTube video on another forum, pricey but certain details annoy me. The bad inlay is right in my face and hand. I found a few places searching that said they'd finish your steering wheel, I knew someone would have the inlay available someplace.  Not cheap, 350 bucks with shipping, but after driving home 35 miles I knew it would annoy to constantly. Better to just fix it now than be annoyed a year. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Great update - cannot believe the seller sold to move to an Edsall...🤔😬

The Edsel was his late brothers. I thought I replied, sorry if double post but I don't see the reply I thought I sent. 

• Like 2