1905 production car racing in Canada... what cars are these?

I spotted this photo in a 'Memory Lane' exhibit at our annual fair on Friday. 

We have a history of Model T racing in the 1940s and Auto Polo earlier than that, but this 1905 business is new to me. Edmonton's first car was a 1903 Model A Ford (first series A).

Based on the clothing in the lead car, this may have been some sort of 'Powderpuff" event. And, judging from the passenger count in the various vehicles, it was clearly more important to be seen than to be fast.

Anyway, what vehicles might these be?  

I plan to submit this photo to our local club newsletter this evening, and the more solid info/educated guesses/humourous commentary the better!

Edmonton Fair racing 1905 lores.jpeg

Thanks to all for your interest and comments. I agree this event was more of a vigorous parade than a race, and it’s prompting me to do some digging at the local archives re the earliest Edmonton cars. One of these days. 

I checked with fellow board member and Russell aficionado Peter Findley about the cars… there are similarities to the Russell, but also differences. 

10 minutes ago, playswithbrass said:

So Alberta became a Canadian province in 1905. Maybe this is part of the celebrations?

I believe its simply a new car demonstration, period.  No celebration of any special event.  A horserace track was chosen to show how fast they could travel in front of the audience. 40 mph was a big deal in 1905, and other than a race track, there were almost no alternative options with a good enough road surface to prove their claimed top speed.

Craig

6 minutes ago, CChinn said:

The OP originally asked what type of cars are in the photo. First guess was a Russel, but subsequent replies focused on Buick. However, this thread has gone down the usual irrelevant rabbit hole. Does it really matter if this was a race or a parade?

It would be a very sterile and dull forum if all we did here was simply identify the vehicles in question and say/offer nothing more.   

Do you not think it would be advantageous for those seeking further history would like to have added knowledgable information here to find out WHY they are being photographed, besides exactly WHERE they are in addition to WHAT make??  I was born and raised in Edmonton, and ABSOLUTELY, I would be interested in knowing more about this photo than just what make of cars they are!!

Craig

• Like 4

On 7/30/2023 at 6:44 PM, Chris Bamford said:

Based on the clothing in the lead car, this may have been some sort of 'Powderpuff" event. And, judging from the passenger count in the various vehicles, it was clearly more important to be seen than to be fast.

Edmonton Fair racing 1905 lores.jpeg

Keep in mind that people got dressed up when they went out back then, plus motoring was an outdoor event an motoring attire was partially

protective.   Dusters and head gear were the style of the times.   T-Shirts and short pants were unheard of in 1905  (Underwear & swim trunks)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, arcticbuicks said:

i would think in 1905 a race........today would look like a parade for speed

Mmmmm-mm-mm, not quite that slow.  I had a 1906 Model F, very similar mechanically to the 1905 Model C.  It would cruise forever at 32 mph, with quite a bit left for hills; a couple of times, I pulled away from a 1913 Cadillac on a hill.  If I tried to use that extra power for more speed on the level, the car was happy enough, but I wasn't.  It had a high center of gravity and a short wheelbase, so as the speed went up, it felt like dancing on a beach ball.  I got it to 40 once, but nevermore!

• Like 2

What we definitely know is that this is a parade at the inauguration of Alberta as a Canadian province on Sept 1st 1905. This at least helps date these cars. By this date a number of cars had been imported into Canada and there were good rail links to Edmonton.