Packard 7 series radiator shell/stone guards

John Bloom

Can anyone enlighten me about the Packard 7 series Radiators?   Specifically are the radiator shells consistent across all lines (726/733/740/745)?  And even more specifically is there one size of factory stone guard for them that fits all?  Or perhaps are the 320's different from the 385's which causes there to be two sizes of stone guards?  Any insight is appreciated.  

I think most are the same. There was a 745C, which had a little bit taller radiator. I don't know whether or not the grille shell was different size. For the most part, they're all the same. If you really want a stone guard, I would suggest the one with the flat weave as opposed to the one with the wire weave. Other than that, it is my opinion, and a lot of other's as well, that the cars look much better without stone guards.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

I think most are the same. There was a 745C, which had a little bit taller radiator. I don't know whether or not the grille shell was different size. For the most part, they're all the same. If you really want a stone guard, I would suggest the one with the flat weave as opposed to the one with the wire weave. Other than that, it is my opinion, and a lot of other's as well, that the cars look much better without stone guards.

Thanks West, and your insight on aesthetics is helpful as well.

17 hours ago, West Peterson said:

it is my opinion, and a lot of other's as well, that the cars look much better without stone guards.

When I bought my 733 at auction the car had a wire weave stone guard . I do not like them because to me they give the car a area that stops the eye visually , stops the downward flow of the vertical style of the radiator shell and shutters. I had the stone guard removed and replaced it with a grille guard. This is a cast bronze ( outer rim) and brass ( vertical bars) item that I bought years ago at Hershey before I bought the car just because it was so darn neat looking! I had pieces made to mount it to my 733 and there it remains to this day. It was made by a company in New York City when new , beautifully made and the vertical bars blend into compliment the shell perfectly ( my opinion) . Click on the photo next to my name and it may enlarge enough to see better. The grille guard is much heavier then the stone guard was.

• Like 1

Walt when ypu get a chance you should post a pic, sounds cool!

John, FWIW I think the stone gaurd is like a mascot, nothing wrong with trying it for a while.  Seems every big pre 32 Packard I ever saw as a kid at shows had these, they still look "right" to me despite trends on a cleaner look.  There must be one around for you somewhere unless you buy a repro..

• Like 1

On 7/24/2023 at 6:31 PM, West Peterson said:

What this guy said.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Walt when you get a chance you should post a pic, sounds cool!

Just read this so went out and took 2 photos. The cast bronze and brass grille guard as mentioned is very heavy . It compliments the style/shape and proportions of the radiator shell.

That is original chrome plating on the grill guard , I just polished it as it is in fantastic condition. I bought this long before I knew that the car i own even existed.

It is just so well made and I had it hanging on a wall in my study for some years. No I didn't buy the car because I had a grill for it- really...............

(The fog/road lights I added because they are what was in the original  1930 Packard factory accessories catalog I have. I wired  them up for directional signals since modern drivers are clueless as to what hand signals mean to indicate you want to turn. They usually wave hello back at you!  that is ok with me if the person waving back is a female of appropriate age and attractive- yes I am single.) 🙃😇

GrilleGUARD1.jpg

GrillGUARD2.jpg

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 5

On 7/25/2023 at 11:40 AM, Walt G said:

When I bought my 733 at auction the car had a wire weave stone guard . I do not like them because to me they give the car a area that stops the eye visually , stops the downward flow of the vertical style of the radiator shell and shutters. I had the stone guard removed and replaced it with a grille guard. This is a cast bronze ( outer rim) and brass ( vertical bars) item that I bought years ago at Hershey before I bought the car just because it was so darn neat looking! I had pieces made to mount it to my 733 and there it remains to this day. It was made by a company in New York City when new , beautifully made and the vertical bars blend into compliment the shell perfectly ( my opinion) . Click on the photo next to my name and it may enlarge enough to see better. The grille guard is much heavier then the stone guard was.

Walt, I have never noticed that Grille Guard of yours and it is very attractive. 

On one extreme you have cars that are almost a caricature of a lollipop, additional lights, additional horns, every accessory you could possibly justify to hang on the car as well as wide white walls.

on the other extreme is a minimalist approach with the absence of all of this.

I am somewhat in the middle of these two extremes with maybe a bias towards the “less is more “preference. 50E40460-26E0-4B13-81B3-34C6B28CAF1D.png.f3f3c5b41db4c3e294a6e539346c0646.png

image.jpeg.f98548a1f0525f8f22b882cbcd27a246.jpegmy 733 is “as I bought it”.   

I was casually looking at another 7 series with no guard on it and wondered about the  consistency of the radiator shell dimensions across the different models of that series (725,733,740,745)

i truthfully find all scenarios mentioned attractive and maybe influenced by the predominant color of the car and what other accessories are present.

Walt, thanks for your photo. I’m not sure I’ve seen that before on this series of Packard, now I’m going to have to start looking and paying attention to that.

• Like 1

When I bought the grille guard I had no idea what year it fit, It is a guess on my part but perhaps the width of the shell and guard on all series in 1930 are the same? Let the experts chime in on this I do not know.

The driving lights went on for safety sake - as mentioned for the directional signals , couldn't fit those ( signals)  into the parking lights at the crown of the front fender andthey are so small they would not be noticed .

No spotlights on my car - I don't bore holes in windshield posts to accommodate them nor have a post mounted one on the running board. , no extra horns external or internal.

Yes, I like the white walls but wish the wheels did not have the orange color and the stainless steel spokes I kinda put up with, tolerate . All that done when the car was restored and I didn't own it. The wind wings are a necessity - to drafty to put up with driving at 50 - 55 mph for any length of time.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Great period but indiviualized look Walt!  What a great car...

John well articulated, my thoughts on accesories is pretty much the same.

Now to find some curb feelers with a Paclatd crest....

Here you go Steve....”Packard authorized curb feelers”

https://www.dragoneclassic.com/inventory/p/1950-packard-super-eight-deluxe-convertible

Edited by John Bloom (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...