Tale of a slipping clutch. Or; Out clutched by the demon adjuster.

Dandy Dave

Got a call to look at a 1936 Plymouth. It refused to move on it's own. I knew immediately as soon as I felt the clutch pedal that there was something seriously wrong with the clutch in this nice old vintage Plymouth sedan. 

IMG_6081.JPG

IMG_6082.JPG

IMG_6083.JPG

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I did not have my camera the day I installed the new clutch assembly. But here are the remains of the the clutch that came out. Note that the unit got so hot that it took the temper out of the pressure plate springs. Obviously the old unit was not adjusted correctly. Several problems were found. One was there was no spring pulling the clutch peddle all the way back to keep it from riding on the throw-out bearing. Should be an inch to one and a half on the peddle before tension on the clutch is even felt. Another problem was there were some bolts missing that were never put back on the top of the transmission. Other little things that escape my memory at the moment. New kit was pennies shy of $400. It came quick also.  

IMG_6084.JPG

IMG_6085.JPG

IMG_6086.JPG

• Like 2

Just now, EmTee said:

Bad pressure plate?  Adjustment or linkage problem?  That's a nice looking Plymouth that needs to get back on the road!  ;)

The car is back together. Problems addressed and the owner is thrilled. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, EmTee said:

Yikes!  :o  Glad you got it resolved.

It has been a long time since I've seen one torn up this bad. The devil's in the details. 👺 When you don't pay attention 💩 happens. 🙃

• Like 2

• Dandy Dave changed the title to Tale of a slipping clutch. Or; Out clutched by the demon adjuster.