Was changing fan belts,---look what i discovered

Wayne R

Was fitting new  fan  belts , checking painting fan blade, so while doing this i removed front pully,

turned the water pump   spindle with my hand, and  O   it was scraping inside ,so i new then i had a problem with water pump, after removing it you will see  photos,---strange thing is  bearing still fine , no movement in it, was never noisy when using  car,  so new water pump  to order tomorrow.---see fine scratches on  about 3 of the  cast iron impeller blades.---64 Electra convertible   401.

So i went on line and discovered this---go to best offer counts---ebay---no ---232918479791---and read the specs on these water pumps, looks like doing away with cast iron  impellers  because of what has just happened to me.

This may help others here----my reason for showing   thanks.

IMG_1657.jpg water pump.jpg

IMG_1660.jpg water pump.jpg

18 minutes ago, JFranklin said:

It looks like it was taking care of its own problem. I think I would have employed a file and slapped it back on if all else was ok. Was the shaft running true? I only see damage on 2 blades.

Yes  correct   and no  movement  in bearing and smooth, but i did notice see impeller is mounted out on its  shaft  from new,

and on inside has about nearly 3/16 inch clearance from housing,---best offer counts --  still has both plastic and cast for sale

i will get  a new one here in ausy tomorrow  American Auto parts.

Edited by Wayne R (see edit history)

11 minutes ago, Bloo said:

If the bearing is good it probably wasn't assembled right in the first place. Is there room to push the impeller on another .015" or so?

Yes  Bloo   if i have trouble getting one here----may try that     thanks.

• Like 1

If you could feel it dragging then something has moved. In an ideal assembly the clearance between the impeller and housing of any pump should be very minimal, between .005 and .015 max. It depends on materials as all metals expand with heat, but more clearance means less coolant pumped. Tighter is better as long as it clears. Either the impeller has moved on the shaft or the shaft moved in the bearing or both.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 37_Roadmaster_C said:

Either the impeller has moved on the shaft or the shaft moved in the bearing or both.

Or the shaft was bent on the last rebuild.  I have had some returned from rebuild that had the shaft bend at the front or back or both.

• Like 3

New pump arrived  today, and as Robin says above about minimal clearance, just look  at the differents

from old to new pump,  the old pump was on car when i received it about 3 years ago from US.

thank you.

IMG_1663.jpg pump.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks gungeey,--no it had a gasket , it just peeled off  very easy,

i think the real problem was that the clearance from  back of impeller to housing was 

about  3/16 inch  and was probably touching the inside back   from when PO fitted it and did not realize it.

Also looks like the impeller  where it was mounted on shaft from new had never moved ,--just a bad 

Water pump from new or rebuilt.

IMG_1669.jpgfan.jpg

• Like 1