Old Chryslers - 1948 Chrysler Windsor series - questions

Dewey

Glad to find this forum. I just purchased a 48 Chrysler Windsor series. I hope some of you can share your knowledge and experience with me on this vehicle. My first car was a 52 Dodge coronet but I was a teenager so I have forgotten a lot of the workings. Thank you in advance. 

IMG_1164.png

• Like 2

IMG_1571.JPG.fca42ff330dc3a151ac14b960d9689b0.JPG Ah! a treasure from the past. I bought a 48 NY two years ago. had a few things to do to it but got it running and now enjoy it on the road.

Mine has ABOUT 40,000 ON IT AND HAS ORIGINAL PAINT.

THE PO HAD RECHROMED MOST OF THE CHROME.

SEND ME A PM IF YOU NEED ANY GUIDENCE AS I HAVE TINKERED WITH A LOT OF IT.

Actually mine is a 49 as they kept building 48's into 49 as there was a problem with the 49's

When you start driving it and it goes CLUK, CLUNK, remember, the trans is know as the clunkamatic!

IMG_1556.JPG

IMG_1569.JPG

Edited by R Walling (see edit history)
  • Like 2

2 things that cross up new Chrysler owners, left hand threads on the left side wheel bolts and 6 volt positive ground electrics. in other words the battery is connected "backwards" to new cars.

If you are not familiar with the Fluid Drive transmission there is lots of info on these in the archives if you do a search for Fluid Drive. There are a couple of threads from 2008 that are very comprehensive.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Dewey said:

Great. Thank you for sharing. Not sure how to message you but I really appreciate your offering to share your knowledge. 

To message someone just hold the mouse pointer on their user name/picture and then a box will pop up. In the lower left hand corner you will see "message". Click on that and off you go.

Also, I have owned several of these Chryslers and know them quite well. 

I have a bunch of parts, too, if needed.

Joe

31 minutes ago, Joe Cocuzza said:

To message someone just hold the mouse pointer on their user name/picture and then a box will pop up. In the lower left hand corner you will see "message". Click on that and off you go.

Also, I have owned several of these Chryslers and know them quite well. 

I have a bunch of parts, too, if needed.

Joe

I think one has to establish themselves with ten ?? or so posts to be able to PM.

• Like 1

Fluid drive is your friend, but it’s not intuitive.  If you search here or on line, you can find out how to drive it correctly.  It’s not made for speed, but to avoid needing to use the clutch.  Fluid drive means that among other things there’s no mechanical connection between engine and transmission, just a fluid coupling so it will roll away even if you leave it in gear.  Make sure to always use the parking brake and that it works well and if in doubt a wheel chock is a great thing to have in the trunk and use.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DavidinCA said:

...  Make sure to always use the parking brake and that it works well and if in doubt a wheel chock is a great thing to have in the trunk and use.

MINE CAME WITH THE FACTORY WHEEL CHOCK AND A SPECIAL TOOL IN ORDER TO REMOVE THE HUB CAP.

• Like 1

Fluid Drive is Chrysler's first attempt to make an automatic. It has characteristics of an automatic and a manual transmission. You drive it like an automatic except you need to use the clutch to shift into gear. After that it is like an automatic.

There are only 3 positions to the gearshift lever. Low range, High range and Reverse. Normally you would start off in High range, when you get going 14mph or more lift off the gas, you will hear a soft *click-clack* from below the floor boards and it will shift into high. Low range is used for starting on a steep hill, driving in soft sand, mud or snow, towing a trailer etc. It will shift up at 6MPH.  Slam the gas to the floor at any speed up to 50 and it should kick down a gear. You can come to a stop at a stop light just like an automatic, it will shift down and start off normally, then lift off the gas etc.

The trans is simple and rugged and seldom gives trouble. If it does it is usually something simple and easy to fix like low on oil, frayed wiring, etc.

If you have any questions there are lots of guys here with experience of these cars.

• Like 1

That’s really good to know. My first car was a 52 Dodge with fluid drive. It had a three speed transmission. When I first went to drive this 48 I kept trying to find first gear. I have the original service manual and read how this thing shifts. Really strange to me but I’m sure I’ll get used to it. Thanks for the info. 

I bought a ‘48 New Yorker about 18 months ago.  I really enjoy the car, but had much to learn about the transmission, brakes, and fuel system.  It has quickly become one of my favorites. I have plans to eventually reupholster it in the original Highlander style.   I think they are well engineered vehicles, still capable of delivering years of good service.  Good luck with yours!

• Thanks 1

If your 52 Dodge had fluid drive and a manual 3 speed transmission, you must have had a Wayfarer, as the Coronets all had the semi auto trans.  Although, I have heard that the Meadowlark also had a standard transmission with FD.  Some owners who buy a Chrysler or DeSoto with the semi auto trans think it's a 3 on the tree and try to drive it that way.  As Rusty said you drive it almost like an automatic trans.  Low range is when the stick shift is pointing up.  It has 1st and 2nd gear.  You usually don't need to shift to low range with these cars unless you are going up or down a steep hill, or are towing a heavy load.  These transmissions are meant to start in 3rd and from then on it's automatic except when you want to shift up at about 12 miles an hour, you have to left your foot off of the gas pedal for a couple of seconds.  When you come to the next stop, it downshifts to 3rd automatically.  I'm in the process of restoring my 48 DeSoto, so I've been through a lot in the last couple of years and know quite a bit more now.  

• Thanks 1

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Old Chryslers - 1948 Chrysler Windsor series - questions