Brakes on 1929 Graham Paige 615

Gary56

I went to take my 1929 for a drive and I found that I has no brakes.  I pumped them several time and I finial got my brakes back.  They worked ok after that.  Is it normal for brakes to do that when it sets for awhile?  How can I fix the problem

I am not familiar with the 29 Graham to know if it has hydraulic brakes but it sure sounds like it does.

The symptoms you described usually means you have a master cylinder going bad.

I would not drive it until you rebuild the unit.  While you're at it, you may as well do all four wheel cylinders as well.

May as well go through the entire system and check all lines, springs and hydraulic pieces. 

I know the Graham Paige had hydraulic brakes, as the Paige before Graham took over did, and the Grahams continued on with them.

The question that needs to be answered is whether they are internal expanding like almost everything in the 1930s? Or are they external contracting as the Paige used in 1927 and some Graham Paige carryover automobiles had in 1928.

Reo has been said to have been the first production hydraulic internal expanding type in 1929, however, I myself have had doubts about the accuracy of that statement. What Graham used in 1929 I do not know.

The reason that is important, is that there are tricks and procedures that are different on the two types of hydraulic systems. A related question is whether the system reservoir is part of the master cylinder or mounted separately on the firewall? And very important is whether the system is as original or has it been upgraded at some point

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

External contracting brakes worked just fine until they got wet.  My 1928 Buick had mechanical external contracting brakes that were very effective until the first time I drove it in the rain and then not much braking at all.  

• Like 1