1902 Sterand Loco 250K

I didn't know this still existed.  We have a period picture around here somewhere.  I question the 1902 date.   Pretty cool, but not sure about the 250K

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/597431965743254/

RAREST OF RARE 1 OF ONLY 1 BUILT: 1902 Sterand Loco, MUSEUM PIECE: Call For Details, See Photos Attached. . Inquire For More Information And Pictures. Powered by a 4-cylinder 40-hp Rutenber gasoline engine, It is equipped with numerous working locomotive features which included a cow catcher, bell, single headlight, steam stack and sand dome, 8 Day penny rim wind clock, all of which served a useful function. It Has 2 Forward & Reverse Transmission And Has Been Driven 12, 000 Miles. Has Had 3 Owners Since Built & Second Owner Purchased It In 1947 From The Original Owner In Chicago Illinois . Have Several More Pictures Upon Request. Call Or E-mail. OBVIOUSLY NOT A SUZUKI, NO PLACE TO LIST AS A STERAND.

Product photo of 1902 Suzuki Loco

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So the only newspaper references to the car are this one on a used car lot from 1951 and then in 1985 when it made an appearance in the "Rippley's Believe it or Not" newspaper feed.

I do not believe the 1902 date but the 1916 one makes a lot more sense.

The_Nugget_Sat__Sep_21__1985_.jpg

Berwyn_Life_Fri__Nov_23__1951_.jpg

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I agree…..1915 seems correct. That thing is so ugly I bet 100 bucks AJ dated it in junior high school. Worth every penny of the 25k they are not asking. 

• Haha 1

Interesting historical note:

The Rutenber Motor Company was established as the Rutenber Manufacturing Company in Chicago, Illinois, United States, to manufacture a four-cylinder engine to the design of Edwin Rutenber.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutenber_Motor_Company

No photo description available.Rutenber Motor Company - Wikipedia

RUTENBER Motors Archives - Chuck's Toyland

RUTENBER Motors Archives - Chuck's Toyland

No photo description available.

Edited by f.f.jones (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1