Shop History: Looking Back At Reuter’s Coach Works

alsancle

George pointed this article out to me and asked me to link it.   Interesting read.   Reuter's show had some great cars pass through it over the decades they were in business.

Bob - this isn't the shop you worked at, is it?

https://www.shopownermag.com/shop-history-looking-back-at-reuters-coach-works/

For more than 60 years, the Reuters were a dominant force in the field of antique automobile restoration.

9-gus-feature-1000x500.jpg

11-gus-old-car.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Those were good times, Dr. Williamson built a building here in Ridgefield, and Vintage Auto was in the front half  to do Chassis and Engine restorations, and Gus and Sons were in the back half doing body and interior restoration. In theory it would be a one stop, under one roof operation. I saw all the cars in the above article roll in and out. The Mercedes came in bright red and yellow and left the same, but with a high gloss. I've found out that high end cars get RErestored more often than lesser cars and this car is now gray and a Pebble Beach Best in Show winner. I worked in the front shop, and we had an interesting group of customers, and visitors, always thought the one with the Great Dane the size of a pony walking through the shop was interesting. The Mercedes looks a bit more subtle now in gray. 

th5BY6V2AW.jpg

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 9

4 hours ago, Zimm63 said:

I remember reading about Reuters in one of Ken Purdy's books about 50 years ago.  Still have a couple of his books and re read them occasionally.  

Ken Purdy was one of our customers too, he lived two miles down the road from me. He was always Mr. Purdy, I never felt comfortable addressing him as Ken. That line in Kings of the Road with the MERCER firing one cylinder per telephone pole had to have taken place on the straightaway on Rt33 just before his house. I think of him, his MERCER , and that ride every time I'm on it. 

36 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Do you mean at the junction of the hood in the cowl?

Yes, The hood has a rolled bead above the side hinge, door had a belt molding and the cowl has none. I never noticed that before. The show photo has a refection that looks like there is a connecting bead at an odd angle. 

19 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Yes, The hood has a rolled bead above the side hinge, door had a belt molding and the cowl has none. I never noticed that before. The show photo has a refection that looks like there is a connecting bead at an odd angle. 

Saoutchik didn’t do a great job integrating with the factory MB hoods.

11 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Saoutchik didn’t do a great job integrating with the factory MB hoods.

Stunning auto, but in the salon photo it looked to me like the junction between the body and hood was a bit wonky.

Great story on the shop and hearing from an insiders view.

• Like 1

That Salon photo was taken in Paris at their annual event ( the others were in London, Brussels, Berlin) note the sign that is hanging that says OMNIA. That was the premier French automotive magazine, was a monthly and had outstanding artwork for the covers all hand painted images of cars and done primarily by two artists. It was a monthly magazine and most of the pages were on coated stock paper so the definition and clarity of photographs is and was excellent., even a century later.  I have a run of most all issues from 1920 to the early 1930s when it ceased publication due to the great depression. Not a magazine often seen in the USA even in automotive libraries or known about by collectors. They are on line to view but like anything to really see the images well you need the original issue if you want to scan/copy - from the first generation at a high DPI. ( dots per inch)

Most reading this by now know I have to give mention to period references "of the era" be it a brochure, periodical, photo, newspaper account etc. it is the historian /storyteller in me . thanks to A.J. for posting the photograph.

Walt

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 1