Bortz cars going to the Petersen

Thought some of you would find these cars interesting.  Having seen these in person I thought they were magnificent.  If you are not familiar with Joe's contribution to the old car hobby google his bio and the "Bortz Collection"  I have known Joe forever as he was the second owner of my 38 Cadillac 90 series with the factory installed automatic transmission.

• Like 1

I have seen the LaSalle Roadster up close and personal. A very interesting car!👍

• West Peterson changed the title to Bortz cars going to the Petersen

When ever I see these Harley Earle "Showcars" I think back to the mid-fifties when as a 10 year old I began developing an interest in "Sport Cars". From about then on thru my teens and into my early 20's, I recall marveling at the superb sports cars being offered on the other side of the Atlantic and as I entered the car buying market in early 60's, wondered why the offerings (at the dealers and in car lots in North America) were so awful by comparison. In my humble opinion, guys like Harley Earle did nothing for the long term reputation of GM or the other Big 3 N/A manufacturers by delivering monstrosities like the " 1955 LaSalle Showcar" to the viewing public. Sure they created "HYPE", but beautiful sports cars, NEVER. Pimpmobiles like this were offered to the gullible public as the future of the automobile. Really. Look what Ferrari, Jaguar, Maserati, MB, Aston Martin and BMW were already offering to the "Sports Car" public in 1955, (not to mention Triumph, Austin Healy, MG, Morgan and others). I simply ask; What was wrong with the corporate thinking at GM? Obviously they had no intention of producing a sports car, they were just pretending to do so.

1955 LaSalle GM Showcar.webp

1955 Ferrari Sport.jpg

1955 Maserati Spider.jpg

1955 MB Gullwing.jpg

1955 Aston Martin DB3S.jpg

1955 BMW 507.jpg

• Thanks 1

I have always enjoyed concept cars and just glancing over at a couple of dated hardcover books I keep on my shelf. I had referenced them for a few things I have done to my own cars that make people look at them suspiciously, like almost credible but something is just not right.

A while back I came across this taped Corvair meeting with Mr. Bortz as the quest speaker. He'd fit in well with our Saturday morning coffee guys.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I have always enjoyed concept cars and just glancing over at a couple of dated hardcover books I keep on my shelf. I had referenced them for a few things I have done to my own cars that make people look at them suspiciously, like almost credible but something is just not right.

A while back I came across this taped Corvair meeting with Mr. Bortz as the quest speaker. He'd fit in well with our Saturday morning coffee guys.

That is my buddy Larry’s shop, with the local car guys in the background. Larry has all sorts of neat odd cars. 

Here is the Falcon when it was in Venezuela.

My buddy told me a story a few years ago, that back in the early sixties there was a shop in Chicago where the younger old car guys hung out, including Bortz. The story goes that either someone sold, or bought a Cadillac V16 roadster for the astronomical sum of $10,000. As the guys were walking over to the local tavern all they were talking about was how could someone pay $10,000 for a car and they had to be crazy and nuts. I guess as they were walking Bortz then said, you watch one day a car will be looked at as art and will sell for $1 million dollars !!! My buddy told me that he thought that was the most ridiculous and delusional thing he ever heard at that time and that the were all laughing at Bortz’s crazy talk. This was before they even got to the bar so the liquor was not talking yet. As he was laughing telling me the story he said, one million dollars, One million dollars!! Come on $10,000 was insane money at the time-  I told my friend that he should have listened to Bortz.

4612B15A-4165-420D-BB66-34E3B9BA00F9.jpeg

Funny, I like Harley's show cars much better than most of the European cars you show!😁 

At 11 minutes the importance of the potential LaSalle engineering is mentioned. RWD IRS, aluminum DOHC fuel injected engine. 50 years later with a Seville designation, that's 18 years ago, They made one. And I like mine. Seven years and an antique.

IMG_0198(1).JPG.a028e07a89857c53bbf5866214df9bff.JPG