cadillac 1936 wood

I own a copy of the 1936 Fisher manual and have found it completely useless for the purpose of duplicating rear door wood. There is a copy posted online if anyone would like to have a look.

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/fisher/3536fbsm/index.html

Here is the much more useful 1926-1931 edition:

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/fisher/2632fbsm/index.html

I have the same dilemma on a Pontiac, and these 1936 Cadillac 60 series pics show nearly identical construction. I had those pics but lost track of them, thank you @58L-Y8 for posting them again.

There is a finger joint in the curved piece (visible in the pics). At the top of the curved piece (on Pontiac and most likely all others) was almost a mortise and tenon. but not quite. I'll call it a fork and blade because I don't know how to describe it. To the best of my recollection, the hinge attached with 3 fasteners. Two were wood screws, and the third was a bolt that threaded to a tee nut on the inside. The tee nut is almost like the ones in any hardware store, used in the cabinets of a lot of musical instrument and PA gear these days. Fisher's were not exactly the same. They did not have spikes. They had some holes instead, and were attached to the wood with tiny nails.

21k4D02TipL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

• Like 1

I am working on a series 60. The picture was helpful I think I have figure out how to make it. The car is little special because it was the only one that come to Europe (Sweden) 1936. 1952 was the car sold to Alad Island Finland and in the 70:s they have try to restore the engine but thanks gud they never get it to run I newer have seen so bad work. Few year ago the car was given to me and now I want to get it back on the roads because it have so great history around the iland. 

• Like 1

Fisher bodies were full of wood and replacing it is a big job taking many different skills.    Making patterns often involeves measuring the hole where wood shoud be, but is totally gone.   Other places a rotted piece may be good for a pattern with a little wood hard to firm it up.    I used about half the national forest of white ash to re-wood my 1935 Fisher bodied Buick. 

Buick@Parkers.jpg.bdf72b0c1983a434f2410f078546ee21.jpg

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...