Trailer plugs

I can't be the only one having this problem. I have 10 trailers one being a camp trailer, 4 pickups as tow vehicles. My problem is the trailer plugs grow green corrosion on the plug & I have to replace them every 3 or 4 years. Never the female end on the pickups. Going to pull the flat bed tomorrow on a out of state trip, no lights, replace the plug all the lights work. Is there a spray or do you use dielectric grease? or do I have something else like a poor ground. I never have a problem with my camp trailers.

I carry an aerosol can of circuit cleaner in my truck, use it on both male and female ends, then insert and withdraw the plug about three times before final attachment.  Then check before I hit the road.  I've seen somewhere a dummy plug that can close off the trailer end of the receptacle and I will have to try that--can't be very expensive.

• Like 1

You may be the only one with 10 trailers! LOL  I would find or make some kind of cover for the trailer plug. Like mentioned the truck is probably ok if it has the fancy spring loaded cover. I have a flat deck and a box trailer. Years ago had a couple of eager beavers. Seemed like all of the lights never worked. I just winged it and drove on anyway. Now I am much more safety conscious, and try to be a courteous driver so I will not pull out of my drive unless everything is working properly. I use an electric contact cleaner in a spray can. I hit both connectors generously every time I hook up. Never any problems and the all the lights work as they should every time.

• Like 1

You need to orient the male

receptacles on your tow vehicles

so they point down to

let any moisture that gets past the  

cover to drain.

Install the male receptacle inside

the body perimeter as high as possible 

to minimize water entry.

Choose a male receptacle that has

a pre-made tail molded into the 

receptacle with the wires extended

that you crimp - solder - heat shrink

the connections to from your tow

vehicle wiring harness.

WD-40 displaces moisture.

If you spray that or electrical 

cleaner into the male & female

ends and allow to drain …

These tips should do the trick.

Jim

• Like 1

I had the problem with the truck end every couple of years but moving to an area with less salt seems to have fixed that problem.

• Like 1