Anti squeak-- 1938 Ford pickup

Littlestown Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Asphalt paper was used in many cars not only for anti squeak but for shimming of wood to metal areas. It only compresses so far, will not absorb water, and won’t contribute to rust issues much. Then there’s the fact that it’s readily available and cheap!😂

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bloo said:

Where are you guys buying it? The last time I went looking I found only modern substitutes that were lightweight and did not contain tar or asphalt.

I’ve got a big old roll of heavyweight paper I’ve had for years. I haven’t had to buy any for a long time. Doesn’t surprise me that even asphalt paper has changed! I would try a commercial roofing supplier.

• Like 1

That looks like the stuff

It is a  lot thicker  than most modern underlayment and has a 'tar' feel to it . Measured my roll downstairs and it is about 0.056" which matches the 0.060" thickness spec in the HD product.

Notice they also have a 30# roll that is 0.1" thick if that better suits your needs.

The last time I bought a front end hardware and antisqueak kit from a vendor, the antisqueak they used even had traces of the felt guidelines on it ! The stuff I bought matched the vendor stuff in every way except I had to do my own cutting!

Brad

• Like 2

On 5/9/2023 at 6:08 AM, Littlestown Mike said:

I like cheal and easy--so does the guy who owns the truck.

That's good, cause the sure fire way to eliminate squeaks is to trade it in on a 2023 model.  That's no where near as fun though.

• Like 1