1921 Locomobile Model 48 Limousine

desertbird

Hi folks, 

New to the forum and I want to share this car. It's a 1921 Locomobile Model 48, Series 8, Car #18408. The car has been in my family for over 60yrs and I am looking to find out more information about formal appraisals and how to generate more interest in this magnificent vehicle. 

Thanks for letting me in the garage, looking forward to some great discussions! 

IMG_0043.jpeg

IMG_0041.jpeg

IMG_0070.jpeg

IMG_0045.jpeg

• Like 5

Welcome to the forum.  If you search you will see some other cars like yours that we have discussed.

I see Ed is going to reach out to you.  Don't let his personality bother you,  because he is actually quite knowledgeable after you get to know him.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

Welcome to the forum.  If you search you will see some other cars like yours that we have discussed.

I see Ed is going to reach out to you.  Don't let his personality bother you,  because he is actually quite knowledgeable after you get to know him.

Acquired taste good guy.

• Like 1

Dan,

I am hoping that is a camera perspective issue. They do have that Ben Hur chariot look. Perhaps it’s exaggerated by the later Locomobile have smaller tire/wheel size. Unaware of any special setup as they already are agricultural equipment bearings sizes.

• Like 1

Spoke to the owner at length. Nice guy, and understands the car well. Anyone interested in it should contact him directly, by PM. Its current location is in Reno. He has a clear title. It's a great car and someone will be very happy with it. Ed

• Like 5

George....love the cape top..........and it's probably a VMCCA event in the 50's when cars like that could still be pulled out of a barn on a weekly basis. Not a post war car in sight. My kind of show!

• Like 4

Just now, edinmass said:

George....love the cape top..........and it's probably a VMCCA event in the 50's when cars like that could still be pulled out of a barn on a weekly basis. Not a post war car in sight. My kind of show!

I believe that is the same blue car Frank just posted. You could change from cape to full top easily.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ittenbacher Frank said:

Are you sure they are the same? I have my doubts. Look at the position of the pivot for the roof support. This cannot be changed easily, I guess.

17120-4.jpg

Same place. There a few examples of the change of tops. Cape tops are cool looking but are nothing more than wind catchers.

6 hours ago, ak said:

I can't say that I recall ever seeing a photo of a 48 with a side mounted spare tire. 

I dunno enough about the Loco history to comment, but Frank found some good examples.  Mine is still better.  Not just one spare tire,  but TWO! One on each side.  I  guess the original owner lived near a nail factory.  😉 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, desertbird said:

I dunno enough about the Loco history to comment, but Frank found some good examples.  Mine is still better.  Not just one spare tire,  but TWO! One on each side.  I  guess the original owner lived near a nail factory.  😉 

Definitely cool.   If you could post some better pictures and an asking price somebody will find it here and buy it if thats what you want to happen.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2023 at 11:21 AM, edinmass said:

Spoke to the owner at length. Nice guy, and understands the car well. Anyone interested in it should contact him directly, by PM. Its current location is in Reno. He has a clear title. It's a great car and someone will be very happy with it. Ed

Hey folks, I wanted to thank you all for this amazing community, the advice, and the conversations about my grandfather's car. As of today, we've reached an agreement for sale and when that agreement goes final I will likely pull this post from the site. Once again, Ed, Frank and the rest of the members on this board, I can't thank you enough. Until next time, keep the rubber on the road. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, desertbird said:

Hey folks, I wanted to thank you all for this amazing community, the advice, and the conversations about my grandfather's car. As of today, we've reached an agreement for sale and when that agreement goes final I will likely pull this post from the site. Once again, Ed, Frank and the rest of the members on this board, I can't thank you enough. Until next time, keep the rubber on the road. 

Congrats.   Cool car indeed.  If you don't mind could you leave the thread for historical purposes?

• Like 1