Broke down

Porsche 68

Well it was inevitable coming home from the first show of the season wit the 34 dodge the neck on the radiator sprung a big leak all over the distributor cap and coil pulled to the side of road cleaned everything up found a plastic baggy to put over the distributor cap luckily there was a very nice lady who gave me a couple of gallons of water to make it home Since it looks really time consuming to remove the radiator I JB welded the hole I will see if it going to leak tomorrow since it is not a pressurized system should be ok for now. John 

779B4B99-9C03-4B7B-B3C8-0A1552110430.jpeg

• Like 4

That is the sort of breakdown that is part of the FUN of antique automobiles! A few of the most enjoyable tours I ever went on were ones I hastily put a car back onto the road, and then took off on a couple hundred mile tour! The challenge of meeting the breakdowns head-on, and overcoming them one by one! The satisfaction of completing such a tour is incredible! Even the two times I came in on the trouble trailer were pure fun while it lasted.

I won't take the time right now to tell the rather lengthy tale of one of the Endurance Runs my son and I fought for most of the day before an innertube failure put us out not halfway through. I have told the story a few times already.

J B Weld gets a bad rap, sometimes well deserved! However, it can for many things make very good long-term repairs. A surface patch like you show may or may not be really good (depending upon surface preparation and exactly what is underneath it)? However, under certain conditions, J B Weld can make very good radiator repairs. Years ago, in my relatively modern "old" Ford work truck, a trash hauling truck ahead of me dropped a piece of junk. It was fairly small, but heavy enough that it totally missed the grill and embedded into the radiator! I was heading into work and close enough to the shop that I made it in without overheating the truck. However, the water was then low enough that I suspect it had just quit circulating. A very quick temporary patch (pieces of old innertube, two fender washers, and a bolt through the radiator with a bit of silicon sealant for good measure!) got me through the next few days to the weekend when I had time to properly clean the area of the radiator, and filled an inch diameter around the puncture with J B Weld. 200,000 miles later, I sold the truck (totally worn out!) with that repair still holding just fine!

31nash880, Yeah. J B Weld ain't gonna help with that?

Rod or main?

Ever considered leather? Been there, done that!

• Like 1

Porsche, this isn't an ad for J-B Weld, but I once owned an Isuzu Rodeo with a three inch crack in the plastic top radiator tank.  I had nothing to loose so I tried J-B Weld. I had the vehicle for 5 years and the J-B was still intact when I sold it , might still be working!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 31nash880 said:

Wish jb weld would fix my first ride of the season.

First pic of my dog stopping for a moment

Second car on trailer going home

Third of inside oil pan.

20230410_110318.jpg

20230410_151843.jpg

20230410_185013.jpg

When the Babbitt turns to gravel like that in a rod bearing, usually the other bearings are not that far behind. Best to pour new ones while it is apart. Mains usually last longer unless it is a Model A Ford that someone has popped the clutch on. That hammers the rear main and often the thrust part that keeps the crank from walking is cracked or in pieces.  

• Like 1

31 Nash880 so sorry to see that happen hopefully you will get it fixed soon and back on the road! The JB weld job worked great but after power washing the engine now the charging system is not working generator is on the bench now hopefully I will have it working again tomorrow. John

• Like 1