1993 Cadillac Low-Side A/C Port Cap

EmTee

I thought about posting this question on the Cadillac forum, but figured it should probably be common to most/all '93 GM vehicles.  I suspect my wife's '93 Allante' is low on R-12, but I haven't actually verified that yet.  In preparation I was reading through the shop manual which states:

"The primary seal of the low-side Schrader Valve found on the accumulator/dryer is the cap.  This cap contains a specially designed O-ring which provides a leak-free seal.  Should the cap be loose, missing, or the wrong cap used, it will result in a loss of refrigerant charge."

Of course, the one on this car is missing.  The previous owner provided a receipt showing it was supposedly recharged in August 2022.  My question is where can I get the proper cap and what exactly do I ask for to make sure it is correct?  I suspect that if I go to the local Cadillac dealer parts department and ask for this 30 year-old cap they will simply stare back with a blank expression.  Obviously it makes no sense to attempt a refill, or further leak detection until I locate one of these caps.  The high-side cap is still in place.  Thanks!

Edited by EmTee
typo (see edit history)

While the aftermarket and Ebay may not have the exact correct O-ring-equipped cap,

you may just luck out at a salvage yard, or even an A/C repair specialty outfit in your area.

Good luck

• Thanks 1

Fair warning the 1993 compressor is a one year only and it is aluminum and is prone to lock up, then self destruct, ask me how I know “twice”, ps it is near impossible to get all the metal shavings out of the system

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ramair said:

...ps it is near impossible to get all the metal shavings out of the system

Yup, I had a similar experience with a '93 Regal years ago -- also twice... :(

Could try asking mechanics or bodymen in a shop. Working in collision repair for 40 years I use to have many different caps in a drawer. We would recover the r-12 for repair then the insurance company would total the car.  Caps were placed in draw in event one came in lost or damaged. A pic would help. Good luck.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 31nash880 said:

A pic would help.

I wish I had one!  The fitting on the Schrader valve has a QD on the outside and a threaded bore, which the cap would screw into (as the HP one does).  I'm thinking if all else fails, I should be able to find a screw with the proper thread and fit a gasket washer to it.  Probably will need to cut it short, but I don't see why that wouldn't work.  Certainly better than nothing...

‘‘Em Tee, call Tom’s Allante store in San Diego, over the years I have bought new and use parts from him, last time I talked to him he had 60 parts cars.  He is also president of the Allante club

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 31nash880 said:

Here are a few styles out there. Some for foreign cars. Quick search on Google brought up plenty of places to order.

20230408_112116.jpg

I had the same ash tray on my desk many years ago before it fell and broke,

misappropriated from the Monteleone Hotel on Royal Street - 1st block off Canal Street - local to us-

Dropped my cousin and his new bride when they stayed there a couple of months ago-

Great lobby, and even better bar !

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

8 minutes ago, Jubilee said:

Just a curiosity, I thought all manufacturers where going to R134a

in 1992. We have a 1993 Roadtrek van, Chevy G30, bought new fall of

1992, and it’s R134a.

A 1993 1 ton Chevy is R134a and a 1993 Cadillac is R12? 

My 1992 Roadmaster WAS R12.  Not now.

Ben

On 4/13/2023 at 10:16 AM, dalef62 said:

With the quick disconnect on the outside and threads on inside it sure sounds like it is r134a.

Upon closer inspection, I think you're correct.  It looks like the car has been converted to R134a.

• Like 1