For Sale: 1941 Chrysler New Yorker 4dr Sedan - $26,500 - Toms River, NJ - Not Mine

For Sale: 1941 Chrysler New Yorker 4dr Sedan - $26,500 - Toms River, NJ

1941 Chrysler New Yorker - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)
Seller's Description:

1941 Chrysler New Yorker 4door sedan. 325cd straight 8, 135hp. Fluid Drive. Vehicle runs great Original interior except for headliner, Sun Visor and Skirts. Painted in 2019, 2 tone Blue and White. Clean title. odometer: 65000

10% DEPOSIT WITHIN 48 HOURS
Payment in full Via bank to Bank Wire Transfer, Cashiers Check, Bank Check, Cash in Person, or Loan Check(must clear prior to pick up) WITHIN 7 DAYS. .
A $500.00 deposit via PayPal is required with 24 hours of commitment to purchase. Balance due within 7 Days.
Buyer is responsible for picking up vehicle . Vehicle will be released to buyer once funds have cleared my bank.
NOTE: This vehicle is for sale locally therefore this ad may be dropped at any time without notice. Please contact me before sending deposit.
Copy and paste in your email: a238497f017f3860bda13598a63238a0@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1941 Chrysler New Yorker 4dr Sedan.

'41 Chrysler NYer NJ a.jpg

'41 Chrysler NYer NJ b.jpg

'41 Chrysler NYer NJ c.jpg

'41 Chrysler NYer NJ d.jpg

'41 Chrysler NYer NJ e.jpg

'41 Chrysler NYer NJ f.jpg

'41 Chrysler NYer NJ g.jpg

'41 Chrysler NYer NJ h.jpg

'41 Chrysler NYer NJ i.jpg

'41 Chrysler NYer NJ j.jpg

'41 Chrysler NYer NJ k.jpg

'41 Chrysler NYer NJ l.jpg

'41 Chrysler NYer NJ m.jpg

1 hour ago, suchan said:

Clean car, but the white upper body makes it look like a taxi.

Easy enough to repaint, though.

Agree that the seller is reaching for the stars.

I suspect what appears to be white is actually the very light gray Chrysler offered which looks washed-out under the bright sunshine.  What is remarkable is if the blue broadcloth upholstery and that fragile plastic trim are factory original, this New Yorker had exceptional care throughout its life.  If it were a '41 New Yorker Highlander town sedan with the blue-green tartan plaid it would be even more desirable and appropriately priced.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 8 months later...

Why are we critiquing this fellow's asking price?   It's none of our business.  Are any of you going to buy it?   No.   Worry about your own cars.   Jaysus,  these forums are like a bunch of nosy old gossips, Madam Defarges.

How much would it cost to replicate the amazingly sound original interior?  Maybe it drives well despite an engine that could externally use at least a good scrubbing with kerosene-dipped towel, etc.  It's interesting to see the sort of cars we don't often see posted.  When someone does, the shut ins camped by their computers chime in like a Greek chorus.   Hilarious.

Appreciate the fellow's car or don't,  but his price is of no concern unless you personally are negotiating purchase with him.

2 hours ago, Su8overdrive said:

Why are we critiquing this fellow's asking price?   It's none of our business. 

Mr. Overdrive, we're not here to insult anyone.

In this category, people point out interesting things

for sale, and the owner isn't even here.  Just the 

fact that someone has duplicated parts of the ad

shows that he feels the car may be of interest--

a high compliment, in a way.

This category is valuable.  People--I hope from experience--

point out items that may be incorrect.  Our own national

magazine editor once pointed out that a so-called phaeton

was cut down from a sedan--potentially saving a buyer

tens of thousands of dollars.  People may comment on

a model's mechanical strengths and weaknesses, or

incorrect items that someone else might not notice.

These are opportunities to learn from others.

And quite a few cars posted here have indeed been

bought by AACA members reading these postings!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Mr. Overdrive, we're not here to insult anyone.

In this category, people point out interesting things

for sale, and the owner isn't even here.  Just the 

fact that someone has duplicated parts of the ad

shows that he feels the car may be of interest--

a high compliment, in a way.

This category is valuable.  People--I hope from experience--

point out items that may be incorrect.  Our own national

magazine editor once pointed out that a so-called phaeton

was cut down from a sedan--potentially saving a buyer

tens of thousands of dollars.  People may comment on

a model's mechanical strengths and weaknesses, or

incorrect items that someone else might not notice.

These are opportunities to learn from others.

And quite a few cars posted here have indeed been

bought by AACA members reading these postings!

John, I applaud you for answering with sincerity and pointing out some of the good things the "not mine for sale" threads do for the forum and its members.  I personally enjoy looking at stuff here and probably check it out once a day.  That being said, there are a couple of comments you made that I don't agree with.  

and the owner isn't even here. 

Are you sure about that?  I suspect that frequently the seller does see their listing in FB or CL, Hemmings, etc..... reposted to this sight.  If one of us lists our car on FB marketplace, but not the AACA forum, and a member posts to this Not mine for sale, then the seller could very likely see the ad they created posted here at the AACA even though they didn't choose to put it there.  Perhaps they like that as it gives them more exposure, but I wouldn't assume you're doing that guy a favor and that he's happy to see it posted here and picked apart on a public forum, with criticism (that is at times incorrect) captured online forever.  If a seller put his car on FB marketplace and it hasn't sold for 6 months and they decide to google their make and model and see what others are listed and asking prices.....it is very possible that their search results will bring up the thread of their car on here if it is listed on "Not mine for sale".  Imagine their surprise to see lots of negative comments by people who haven't seen their car, captured forever.  I google makes and cars all the time and frequently the search results list a thread on the AACA forum that I then direct to and start reading.  

we're not here to insult anyone

I think its great that you don't want to insult anyone (the seller), in the "Not mine for sale" threads.  But you don't speak for everyone who posts here.  I cringe at times reading harsh statements directed towards the seller of a car and the seller didn't ask to be on this forum.  It doesn't happen all the time, but it isn't rare to see the seller treated like a punching bag as people who may or may not know details about the car cut it to pieces and make statements about a seller they don't know.  What would those criticizing say if someone told them the seller is the surviving widow trying to move her deceased husbands cars?  

pointing things out about the car both correct and incorrect, desirable and not so much, attributes and concerns, all can be done on the site in a way that isn't insulting to the individual who wants to get rid of a car.

The Not mine for sale threads are a great component of the Club's online Forum.  My point is that people consider that the seller may read it and so we all should consider that when we post our opinions on a car.  I'm Sure I'm guilty of doing this in the past so I need think if my responses to the cars listed are "fair" "helpful" "accurate".

OK, off my soapbox.  😬

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Car magazines critique new cars;  movie

reviewers evaluate new movies;  restaurants

are reviewed for their menus and service;

Consumer Reports evaluates all sorts of consumer

products.  Old-car fans discuss old cars they

have seen in car corrals and at shows.

It's also vital to point out flaws without glossing

them over--as well as to compliment the good aspects.

John B. (above) is right that it should be done courteously. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Other areas of automobiles for sale are specifically for members of the AACA or the forum to list their own cars for sale, under their own names if they want, or avatars if they prefer. Easily half of the cars for sale shared in the "not mine" section are for sale by people that are not very familiar with antique automobiles, and often do not really understand what they have. Often, they are clueless to their own ignorance.

Many of the listings are by flippers hoping to score a big profit, usually on a car that was barely worth what they paid for it in the first place.

A lot of others are family members expecting a big windfall from a family member's treasured old car. These cases are often very sad. I have seen it hundreds of times. Dad or grandpa or uncle so-n-so loved his old car. But nobody else really cared about it when they were alive. They didn't ask questions, didn't help clean it up for a local showing. The car was said to "be valuable", but actual dollars were seldom discussed. And even if they were, we have all seen it many times. "My car is the finest one there is!" Most of us have a special set of "rose colored glasses" for our favorite cars. But when the older member of the family dies, the younger generation sees only dollar signs.

I think most of the regulars on here try to be fair with most of their comments. Usually negative comments are intended to point out failings in the vehicle or its listing. Most of what I read I see as not so much being harsh, as it is trying to help people that may be somewhat interested to make a more informed decision.

Comparing current listings with similar past listings are usually very helpful. Most discussions of value I read seem to be geared toward educating both the sellers (if they are willing to learn?), and potential buyers. 

• Like 3