Vacuum windshield wiper maintenance recommended?

JamesR

Since I have the heater box torn out of my Mercury temporarily, I thought it might be a good time to look over my vacuum wiper mechanism. Lots of access in there right now with the heater gone. My wipers work, but I've always felt they function a little on the slow side. Is there any recommended maintenance for the mechanism? The mechanism looks very clean - not at all rusty, corroded, etc.

BTW, I'm going to get a new fuel pump (dual action) because of fuel leakage. Pump isn't that old, but it started leaking not long after I put it in. The fuel pump guy says that leakage is usually because of a bad diaphragm. I figure if the diaphragm is bad on the fuel side, it may be bad on the vacuum wiper side, too. If so, that might have something to do with the slower wiper speed. But maybe the mechanism itself just needs maintenance.

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)

• JamesR changed the title to Vacuum windshield wiper maintenance recommended?

I would imagine just a bit of white lithium grease on the moving parts.  A solid vacuum pump works wonders for a vacuum wiper motor in good shape. For guys like us our cars don't see much rain if at all.  When I wash my 54 I run the wipers as hose water is spraying on the windshield. Keeps the grease moving!  But occasionally I get caught in the rain. 

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Like 1

James,

On the fuel pump, I couldn't find one that was the same so I bought a rebuild kit at Then and Now automotive.  It was designed to work with ethanol gas. I was have an issue with mine so I just rebuilt it. Wasn't too bad. What kind or reading are you getting from vacuum? Should be around 18 at idle.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Laughing Coyote said:

What kind or reading are you getting from vacuum? Should be around 18 at idle.

I'll check that out today, I'm just about ready to head up to storage. Great idea. I never thought to check the vacuum readings....

I talked to the guy at Then and Now yesterday. I'm just going to send my pump into him and have him rebuild it. He rebuilt the pump on my '54 Y-block about 20 years ago and it still works perfect. By contrast, the pump I put in the merc started leaking fuel within a few months after installation.

As far as not finding a fuel pump for a vacuum wiper '61 Mercury 352...I hear you there. They aren't any where. However, a lot of the FE pumps with vacuum wiper 2nd diaphragm will be spec'd for like a 1958 Ford 352 with vacuum wipers. So what exactly is the difference? A lot of sources I've read say FE fuel pumps are mostly interchangeable, high performance applications aside. I'm wondering what would be different from a '58 Ford or Thunderbird 352 mechanical fuel pump and a '61 Meteor or Galaxie mechanical vacuum wiper 352 fuel pump? I would think there wouldn't be any difference...unless the vacuum levels for the wipers between the two cars are different.

Specifically, I found the Carter M73066 might be a pump that would work on my car. The only reason I can think that my (and your) car isn't listed for that pump is that the electric wipers were introduced so early in '61 that not many vacuum wiper cars were made. In fact, I called Carter technical support and the rep I spoke with said that pump might work on my car, but he wouldn't officially recommend it because his chart said it wasn''t the right pump.

Hi. I posted a video on youtube right now to show how my vacuum wipers function. The wiper blades can't seem to overcome the friction of rubber on glass so I have to pour water on the windshield to get them started. I don't know how typical that is, but I guess that's a big part of what I'm wondering about. I should say that my 1954 Ford is pretty is much the same way. May even be a little worse.

I've put replacement rubber blades on both cars within the last several years, so they aren't real old. Like avgwarhawk said, though, the wipers hardly ever get used. Comparing to his Buick's function and speed, it looks similar. So maybe they are working just as they should. BTW, I didn't see any obvious place to put white lithium grease on wiper mechanism - didn't see any way to access the  mechanism.

Answering Laughing Coyote's question: the wiper vacuum reading is exactly 18, just like he said. I did install a tighter new vacuum line to the wiper motor before doing the video, so the function might be slightly improved from what it was earlier.

Looking at all of this now, I'm thinking my wipers might be typical for vacuum wipers, but I don't know about them not working unless there's water on the windshield.

7 hours ago, JamesR said:

My wipers work, but I've always felt they function a little on the slow side.

If they can complete a cycle, they're working.

Is there any recommended maintenance for the mechanism? The mechanism looks very clean - not at all rusty, corroded, etc.

I would take it apart and lubricate all the pivot spots in the linkage or shafts. Replace anything that is obviously shot. Every little bit helps. If it works at all it can't be too bad.

I figure if the diaphragm is bad on the fuel side, it may be bad on the vacuum wiper side, too.

Probably. You want that pump absolutely the best you can make it.

If so, that might have something to do with the slower wiper speed.

My guess is no. What a booster pump buys you is wipers that continue working when going uphill or accelerating, albeit slower. You don't have to let the gas pedal up to get a wipe.

6 hours ago, JamesR said:

I talked to the guy at Then and Now yesterday.

They have been a good source of parts for me. I rebuild my own so haven't used their rebuild service.

As far as not finding a fuel pump for a vacuum wiper '61 Mercury 352...I hear you there.

I would in no way ever want anything to do with a "remanufactured" unit. These pumps come apart and are meant to be rebuildable in the shop. Letting a good core go to "exchange" for some badly rebuilt parts store unit is a mistake. You'd just be taking on someone else's problems. The quality of that remanufactured stuff was so bad in the 90s it was very difficult to even make work. No doubt a lot of the dead stock for sale now is from that period. The way to go is to either have a professional rebuild yours, or do it yourself.

I talked to the guy at Then and Now yesterday. I'm just going to send my pump into him and have him rebuild it. He rebuilt the pump on my '54 Y-block about 20 years ago and it still works perfect.

Sounds good to me.

However, a lot of the FE pumps with vacuum wiper 2nd diaphragm will be spec'd for like a 1958 Ford 352 with vacuum wipers. So what exactly is the difference? A lot of sources I've read say FE fuel pumps are mostly interchangeable, high performance applications aside. I'm wondering what would be different from a '58 Ford or Thunderbird 352 mechanical fuel pump and a '61 Meteor or Galaxie mechanical vacuum wiper 352 fuel pump?

Most likely nothing. I could have answered this 35 years ago but I just can't remember. I do remember that the 61 engine has the earlier setup at the front with the cam retained by a spring. I had a 59 Police 352, and to the best of my recollection the stuff on the front of the engine was all identical.

.unless the vacuum levels for the wipers between the two cars are different.

Extremely unlikely. Booster pumps don't make as much vacuum as the engine and what they do make is never enough. If one year booster did somehow make more vacuum than another, it would be because of some mechanical limit, not because the designer wanted it that way. You would want the stronger one no matter what.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Vacuum wiper motors should be lubricated every few years. Basically you squirt a little light oil into the air intake and work the paddle back and forth. If you want the icky details a quick web search should turn them up.

Thanks, Rusty. Is the air intake you're talking about that inlet looking thing on the wiper motor? On my car, it looks just about like where the vacuum line hooks up, but if you hook the vacuum line it won't work...you just get a hissing noise. If that doesn't make sense I can post a pic.

Also, what do you think of the wipers not working unless there's water on the windshield (to reduce friction.) That happens on both my vacuum wiper cars, but I don't know if they're supposed to function that way. You can see what I'm talking about if you check out the video I posted above.

Also, what do you think of the wipers not working unless there's water on the windshield (to reduce friction.)

I have read in a repair manual, instead of water, put a sheet of paper on the windshield.  That greatly cuts the friction.  Of course you would need a piece of paper under each blade. And it would have to be large to cover the travel of the blades.  How 'bout wrapping each blade loosely with a piece of paper?

• Thanks 1

I hate to use wipers on a dry windshield, if there is any dust or dirt it will scratch the glass. I even spray on Windex when testing wipers. But ideally the wipers should be powerful enough to work on a dry windshield.

Here is another video, showing how to lubricate the motor on the car. His idea of feeding the oil with an oil can is a good one. I would put the container of oil above the motor so it runs down easier. Marvel Mystery Oil or auto transmission fluid should work well, or power steering fluid. They used to recommend brake fluid but warned it could damage paint.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

One of the videos I looked at showed a rebuild kit with a new paddle complete with seal. It was NOS and obviously very old. I don't know if parts are still available but the Model A parts guys would have them if anybody would. Also, there may be guys who rebuild them and have parts but I don't know who. A web search might turn up some information.

I refurbished the vacuum wiper motor in my '38 Century.  I was able to cut a new paddle paddle seal from fibrous gasket material.  One thing I found was the 'tub' casting was distorted.  The sides were sucked-in near the top where the paddle shaft rides.  This caused leaks around the seal at the sides.  I was able to true-up the sides using a flat file.  A summary of my repair is located here: https://forums.aaca.org/topic/371015-my-1938-buick-century-model-61/page/6/

image.png.02b3c564d58ead955feaef3416ce9d

• Like 2