WTB thermostat housing for 1939 Buick Special

MarkL

Just got the car, seen the radiator was dry, added coolant while not running and it started leaking out from somewhere, assumed water pump? Started removal and figured I’d take out the thermostat since probably not needed for Phoenix, saw flange already broke and rtx all in it, and rtx extruding from water pump…water pump mounting bolts frozen with rust to boot, too much fun..btw, new to posting..still figuring it out, thanks for any tips..

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. I would suggest you call Dave Tacheny. He sells 1936-1941 Buick parts from parts cars. You can best reach him by calling 763-427-3460 between 4 and 7 pm Central. I would also suggest you check out the 36-38 Buick Club. Despite the name, the club now covers all Straight 8 era Buicks. http://www.3638buickclub.org/ if you send me a message thorugh the contact the webmaster link on the 36-38 Buick Club website, I will be happy to send you a sample .pdf copy of a recent club newsletter. If you scroll down a bit to the Prewar Buick section, you will find a lot of helpful folks who specialize in this era Buicks. 

Welcome to Buicks, Mark.   

You may think me nitpicking, but here goes.  Your Buick, actually any car, DOES need a thermostat in Phoenix or anywhere else.  The thermostat is to maintain a MINIMUM  coolant temperature. I run a 195 degree in my 1950. Running an engine too cool can/will cause many headaches.

Scroll on down to the BUICK forums.  Many of the Buick folks there skip over these higher up forums.  If you are already down there , my apologizes for missing you.

Ben

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Pete Phillips said:

99% sure that I have a new old stock thermostat housing for a 1939-1940 Buick Special engine. I can look for it tomorrow if you are interested.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX

I believe it's the upper one in these two photos.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

pphillips922@gmail.com

IMG_0429.JPG

IMG_0428.JPG

• Like 1

Hi, Pete. The water outlet (top part in your series of photos) is not for a '39 BUICK small series. The '39 water outlet does not have a right angle bend in it. The '39 water outlet has a more upward slope to it, as it angles up toward the radiator. Sorry, I don't have a photo handy.

Also, MarkL, you do not need a "water outlet". Rather, it appears to me that the flange on your water bypass housing is what's broken. That's like the middle part in Pete's photos, ALTHOUGH I can't tell if Pete's part is the correct one for your '39 small series engine. A part number for the part, if available from Pete, would remove any doubt.

And finally, MarkL, have you obtained the 1938 BUICK shop manual and the 1939 BUICK shop manual supplement yet? You really need buy those. They are available in reprint for not much money. See eBay or other sources. John

Edited by Jolly_John (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Here’s a pic of why I can’t trust the flange, previous owner tapped the hole and did the best he could, but….  Jolly J, thanks for that info, your right about the water bypass housing needed, and I’m a pretty voracious reader, so I’ve gotten the 38 manual and waiting for the 39 supplement, I think I’ve read every forum trying to get myself educated, much appreciation on the help.

Pete’s got a housing part# 1297938, can anyone confirm this will fit my 39 Special, I can’t get my old one off yet to compare..that’s the thermostat bypass housing 

Edited by MarkL
More info (see edit history)

According to Bob's Automobilia's website, that number is for 1936-1940 Large Series engines.

According to my Buick Master Parts List, the Thermostat Housing that you need that fits the 1936-1940 Small series engine is Part Number 1295238. 

Hello Mark,

Go up to the upper right hand side of this page and you will see the picture of an envelope. Click on that and then a blue box will appear that says "compose new" click on that and put in the sign on (ie Jolly John, or Pete Phillips) then you are off and running. Follow instructions from there. This is for a PM (private message) between two, or more parties. 

Mike

Edited by kingrudy (see edit history)

Thanks Mike, btw.. turns out my 39 Special has a later 263 engine!! That’s what I love about old cars, it’s like a box of chocolates… so the engine# 53428705 if anyone can help narrow it down, thermostat bypass# 1335319 here’s a pic of the waterpump..

1DAA88FC-0DF1-4403-A3CC-95719198F73A.jpeg

Ben, wishful thinking says 263 to me, however I feel your going to burst it and tell me it’s a 248, still love the car.. here’s pics and thanks for info, I appreciate it!

7A3F87ED-0DD1-4C29-BE85-EAF88E45E4C8.jpeg

18FB84C4-16DF-4D98-BA0D-BB2A50982063.jpeg

LOL!   I am guilty of that wishful thinking stuff myself.

The last picture " tells the story", though.   See those 4 bolts?   Side engine mounts that started in 1948.    See the outline of the cylinders?  The 263, which started in the Super in 1950, has vertical re enforcement bars on those. Beginning in 1950 , ALL the engines had a change in the coolant flow , evidenced by the water pump outlet attaching to the side of the engine through an elbow between the generator and exhaust manifold, missing in second picture.    So , visually, 1948 or 1949.  The engine number says about half way through 1949.  WHICH IS GOOD.    1949 saw the beginning of inserts  for rod bearings, instead of poured babbitt.  So, you have the best there is until the 263.  Performance difference is minimal, I imagine.  

ENJOY.

Ben

• Like 2

Thanks Ben!! You’re a wealth of info, much appreciated.. I bought a ‘39 Century back in ‘83 or ‘84 ( not sure of year, kinda foggy) , all I did was put gas-n-go! That car never needed a thing and was a freeway flyer! So all this mechanics on my Special is really new to me, thanks again!

• Like 1