ID person and/or Car

Eric11

While examining family history material in boxes - we came across a number of images - of which I am sharing here - not dated nor no known location. I am aware that one of my Murphy relatives was an avid racer in South Jersey - but that is the extent of knowledge. The photos were included in a portfolio provided by C. Y. LaTour of Wyncote, Pa.  Any help would be appreciated.  E. M. 

Photo_2021-11DD16_021500.jpg

Edited by Eric11
did not know rules about one item per que (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks - so far - thank you to person that ID the Duesenberg symbol on another relative driver - brought me to indy Museum. - discovered my 2nd gr uncle - Harry Hartz - This is not in the museum images - taken before the race that day - he won 2nd place  Indy 1926 - Thank you for the hint to start for this image - now for the others lol 

Edited by Eric11
corrected info (see edit history)
  • Like 1

My guess is that the driver is Harry Hartz. He worked for Studebaker, it looks like him and it would have been in a time frame that Studebaker was showing itself to be more then competitive on tracks and hill climbs. If this is a Studebaker it could have been a straight 8, but it would have been very early, since the Studebaker 8 came out in 1928. It just as likely could have been the 354cu" Big Six.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Hartz#:~:text=Harry Hartz (24 December 1896

17 hours ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

My guess is that the driver is Harry Hartz. He worked for Studebaker, it looks like him and it would have been in a time frame that Studebaker was showing itself to be more then competitive on tracks and hill climbs. If this is a Studebaker it could have been a straight 8, but it would have been very early, since the Studebaker 8 came out in 1928. It just as likely could have been the 354cu" Big Six.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Hartz#:~:text=Harry Hartz (24 December 1896

The whole car is quite compact and I guess this is in the 91 cubic inch era. The engine is most likely a Miller. Somewhere I have a copy of a history book of this era of racing. I recall reading that a Miller 91 engine was $7,000.

• 5 months later...