'40 Super trunk handle lock removal

Drakeule

19 hours ago, Drakeule said:

Anybody know how to remove the keyed section from the trunk handle barrel? I imagine that they are mostly the same from year to year?

Thanks,

CD, Potomac, Md.

I had a number of locks I had no keys for. At the lock shop I asked if they could cut new by the numbers. Response; we have three large rings with many keys salvaged. You can take the outside and see if you can find correct ones, trial/error. There are not all that many different ones. Twenty minutes later they cut six brand new keys with GM blanks, ten bucks. Won't happen at Home Despot or equivalent, but maybe an independent and experienced locksmith. Good luck! I had extra keys cut just to try that option if needed later.

• Like 3

OK all and many thanks, but I am getting a NOS trunk handle, and I simply want to transfer the lock mechanism ( i.e., using the original key) from the old handle to the new. What is the secret to getting the lock portion out of the old one?

Thanks,

CD 

21 hours ago, Drakeule said:

OK all and many thanks, but I am getting a NOS trunk handle, and I simply want to transfer the lock mechanism ( i.e., using the original key) from the old handle to the new. What is the secret to getting the lock portion out of the old one?

Thanks,

CD 

Trunk/door handles have a small pin to drive out(D). Sometime the locks are froze up, push with your thumb on where the key is installed, there should be some movement, if you have movement, once "D" is removed everything will slide out. If froze up, cut shaft at "B", then with "D" removed, press or knock out from end of shaft, be careful not to damage little nubbie on the end of the shaft. Good luck.

DSCN6145.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Exactly the same process I encountered just recently with a Triumph Spitfire (and that drawing could just as easily be Triumph as its almost identical). Local locksmith was asked to key doors, trunk and ignition alike. Didn't do it but simply cut keys to suit. One didn't work although the key turned so I discovered that pesky wee pin and drove it out and that "nubbie" was broken off. I ordered a new lock and rearranged the barrel little slotted brass bits to suit the ignition key. Then did exactly the same thing on all the others - one key now does all. And yes, little bits and springs can escape once you start dismantling but they tend to stay put in the mechanism and need a little force to initially move - the piddling little spring under the brass bit is what needs to be "watched".