Has Anyone Been To Any Car Museums In Georgia?

jeff_a

Apparently there was a collection called Stone Mountain Car and Music Museum, now closed. Anyone know how long it was there or what  vehicles it had? I gather a theme park called "Sliver Dollar City" is there now......but Trip Advisor reported some favorable reviews in the 2010-2015 period, and there were mentions of a 1917 Peerless Touring Car plus a Model "T" and a Tucker inside. 

Some others revealed through E-Bay postcards: 1910 Mitchell, 1909 Maxwell, 1909 Hudson, 1908 Sears, 1906 Buick Roadster, 1904 Ford, 1904 Oldsmobile C-Cab Delivery, 1903 Stevens-Duryea, 1902 Oldsmobile, 1899 Stanley, 1930 Cord, 1930 Dual-Cowl Lincoln, 1936 Lincoln V-12. One states "largest and finest collection of brass, collection of C.T. Protsman."

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, nickelroadster said:

There is a brand new museum called the Savoy in Cartersville GA.  They change their exhibits all the time.  They just had exhibits called fast brass and a collection of micro  cars that were interesting.  They were showing cars from many different places.

I Transport To Travel

I Travel To Tell Stories

From The Road

I have moved my video album taken

at The Booth Western Museum in 2018

to the top of my Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005456325407&mibextid=LQQJ4d

EFE4736D-CC11-46D3-B065-DD705D5C72AB.jpeg.66885192f913cd1afcef6dfeecbd9be0.jpeg

The Savoy Auto Museum is one of a kind.

The gentleman behind it is modest 

and humble - he is quite the Philanthropist.

He was instrumental in founding

two other world class museums

in town - while keeping his name

out of the spotlight.

I met him in September of 2018

when I delivered an Olds Curved Dash

that he bought from my friend David Kolzow in Illinois.

I got to view his private collection.

They were just starting work on

The Savoy Auto Museum.

“ Grassy “ was his right hand man.

He called ahead and got me in the door

to view the other two world class 

museums in town.

I spent the rest day visiting …

The Booth Museum:

https://boothmuseum.org

The Tellus Museum:

https://tellusmuseum.org

Both museums offer world class exhibits.

The Booth Museum features great

western art of every type - when I 

visited there was a “ one of a kind “

temporary exhibit featuring the 

sketches of Frederic Remington.

The Tellus Museum features space

and Technology- it is a Smithsonian

Affiliate and has exhibits that rotate

from the Smithsonian on display.

Cartersville, Georgia is an easy drive

north of Atlanta - plan a couple days to

visit these World Class Museums …

Jim

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the comments about auto museums in Georgia. I couldn't think of any offhand and was disappointed that the Stone Mtn. car museum closed almost 20 years ago. It must have had an excellent representation of Brass Era vehicles, but nothing lasts forever. One of the visitors to it said the theme park took money for admission, but didn't share any with the car museum, so financing wasn't ideal. 

On 3/4/2023 at 2:36 PM, jeff_a said:

Apparently there was a collection called Stone Mountain Car and Music Museum, now closed. Anyone know how long it was there or what  vehicles it had? I gather a theme park called "Sliver Dollar City" is there now......but Trip Advisor reported some favorable reviews in the 2010-2015 period, and there were mentions of a 1917 Peerless Touring Car plus a Model "T" and a Tucker inside. 

Stone Mountain Car and Music Museum closed about 20 years ago, sadly. Mark Hyman bought the inventory. 

Don't know about "Silver Dollar City." Just looked at their website. Looks like fun but didn't see any cars?

Two of the best car museums are The Savoy Automobile Museum. Part of a trilogy of world class museums. The other two as mentioned by Jim (and Grassy is still around) The Booth Western Art. Personally western art never was interesting to me, but the "Booth" blows me away! Stunning! 

The Tellus is science and industry. They have an observatory and sometimes open to the public.

Savoy

The Booth

Tellus

Another must see is Miles Through Time. Check it out on Facebook. Young man, Sean Mathis is the owner/curator

Miles Through Time

One of his must see exhibits in MTT is done by a local artist/craftsman Gary Russeth (https://russeth.com/. He makes incredible sculptures of car made entirely from wood! He also made a 1/2 scale model of the General Locomotive.

We were part of a "Fast Brass Exhibit" with our 1913 Marmon 48B Speedster At the Savoy Automotive Museum. It is a huge car, 9.3 liters. 145" wheelbase. The Savoy put us with the "Big Boys." The Number 8 next to us is a 1909 Alco "The Black Beast" Twice winner of the prestigious New York's Vanderbilt Cup Race.
Bill and Anne with Marmon.jpg

Marmon Projected during Fast Brass Talk (2).jpg

Edited by CatBird (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 3/4/2023 at 4:30 PM, Bills Auto Works said:

@CatBird would probably be the expert on this subject as he has his own museum in the shadow of Stone Mountain!

The Museum in Dawsonville is cool!!!!

God Bless

Bill

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/nationwide-single-car-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

"Starting my 41st  year of Classic/Hot Rod/Exotic Car Transport next month"

"Losers make promises they often break. Winners make commitments they always keep." – Denis Waitley

I have used Bill Squires to haul some of my old cars. He takes great care of them and is always on time. I highly recommend him. He is picking up a car in New York and bringing it home to me.

• Thanks 1