The Great American Dream Machine - 1963 Riviera at Paris Motor Show video

65VerdeGS

Here's something for you First Gen fans.

I came across this 2 minute video posted on the Motor City Garage website.

https://macsmotorcitygarage.com/video-introducing-the-1963-buick-riviera/

I hadn't seen this one before.  It isn't posted on YouTube, and I couldn't get it to play full screen from the Motor City Garage webpage. 

Still an interesting video to watch. I plays in fairly high resolution, unlike those grainy Riviera commercials posted on YouTube.

Note the pre-production touches on this Paris show Riviera.  For example, the big "Riviera" logo on the glove box, and the upholstery on the side of the driver's seat.  Maybe others will spot other pre-production items on this car.

image.png.2d49365049eedf80fb2c1463356e7685.png

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, 65VerdeGS said:

Here's something for you First Gen fans.

I came across this 2 minute video posted on the Motor City Garage website.

https://macsmotorcitygarage.com/video-introducing-the-1963-buick-riviera/

I hadn't seen this one before.  It isn't posted on YouTube, and I couldn't get it to play full screen from the Motor City Garage webpage. 

Still an interesting video to watch. I plays in fairly high resolution, unlike those grainy Riviera commercials posted on YouTube.

Note the pre-production touches on this Paris show Riviera.  For example, the big "Riviera" logo on the glove box, and the upholstery on the side of the driver's seat.  Maybe others will spot other pre-production items on this car.

image.png.2d49365049eedf80fb2c1463356e7685.png

Very cool 😎 

silver on silver?

Cool stuff. The shifting sequence at about the 1:00 minute mark seemed odd, and some of the driving scenes also seemed like the driver may have spent too much time behind the wheel of his 43 hp Renault r8 before getting behind some good ol' North American horses, but still fun to watch. Thanks for sharing.

Later, 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MikeJS said:

spent too much time behind the wheel of his 43 hp Renault r8 before getting behind some good ol' North American horses

Haaaa.

Alex noticed the large "R" on the glovebox door. Can't quite tell if it had that ribbed dashboard paneling or just Argent Silver which an early '63 should have.

However, I did notice the forward mounted OSRV Mirror. That would be indicative of a mid year production change. Strange how it's not rear-ward mounted, near her elbow above - ?

12 hours ago, Hazdaz said:

Was this ever sold in Europe at all?

Cool video nonetheless. 

GM had agents in Europe which sold Rivieras and other models on the Continent and in the UK.  I believe stats exist on how many Rivieras were built for export, but I don't have them to hand.  There were companies in Britain that would do right-hand drive conversions, and MOTOR Magazine road tested a right-hand drive converted '65 Riviera in their Sept 1965 issue.  AUTOCAR, another UK publication, road tested a '65 dual-quad car in their July 1965 issue.  Both these articles are reprinted in "Buick Riviera - Performance Portfolio 1963-1978" by Brooklands Books.

• Like 4