Clay modeling in the auto industry - video

JamesR

In the past, Volkswagen of America sponsored a meet at Auburn Hills. When they announced they would be producing the new Beetle they rolled the full size clay model out. They would carve a piece of clay off for anyone who wanted it.  I think my piece is still around here some place. 

• Like 2

Thank you for sharing this here on the forums. It warms my heart to see artists at work in the automotive industry . Yes indeed the need for computer graphics is needed as it cuts down the time to get to a final product. BUT to see the hand labor, and vision ( literally and figuratively) is just incredible. These skills need to be passed on - in the future if a power shortage happens or a battery gives out , life and work can continue by natural and candle light.  I have mentioned I taught art for decades and to 5 to 18 year old "kids" and yes we used clay and tools that you saw in the video. , once the kids in class were "into it" there wasn't a peep of chatter as they were all so absorbed in what they saw they were doing with their own hands and mind.

All the skill before clay was in wood models and I have posted here some of that from my collection , Budd had full time teams of artists creating wood scale models to offer their creations to major car manufacturers in the mid twenties on up. 

For earlier examples , prior to automobiles look to see how carousel horses were created , there is a book titled "Artists in Wood" that is a magnificent journey to that world.

Walt

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Walt G said:

Yes indeed the need for computer graphics is needed as it cuts down the time to get to a final product. BUT to see the hand labor, and vision ( literally and figuratively) is just incredible.

All the skill before clay was in wood models and I have posted here some of that from my collection ,

One can see the mating of modern and old technology of computer graphics (3-D modeling) combined with actual hand-formed clay in the above model.  The clay appears to be no more than 3 inches in thickness, with some very thin areas in the rear bumper area over a polyurethane core which makes for a rather lightweight presentation model.  In the old days, the clay was thickly applied over wood lath, crudely made into the shape of the concept vehicle, and usually very heavy, and the clay would crack under its own weight if it was moved around too much.

Craig

• Like 1

Craig your last sentence says volumes , just like the cars of that era there was no light weight material that was formed from chemicals to use as a solid base to support the clay, even with the clay having an oil base to it it would crack if flexed to much.