Need Brake Drum Advice

Erndog

I am restoring the front end of my 1930 Buick Model 61. In a moment of genius I removed the circumferential spring that sits on the outside of the drum, in order to clean and paint it, as well as the drum. It rolled off without much difficulty. HOWEVER, going back on is a whole other subject. I determined right away that I was not going to be able to do it alone. I employed the assistance of my wife and three screwdrivers. All that accomplished was hurting her (gloved) hands and scaring the hell out of us.

Has anyone out there tackled these springs successfully? If so, can you give me some hints?brakedrum.jpg.0d69dca00e86c50dbe26a0ee8ebc5850.jpg

Edited by Erndog (see edit history)

My 1942 Buick has the springs.  I clamped the drum to the corner of the work bench with the springs under the clamps. This will keep the drum from not moving which is key. Then with 4 hands and 3 heavy duty screwdrivers managed to get in in place.  Heavy gloves are a must.  Good luck.  Jim

• Like 1

Solved!

I used a couple wood clamps to hold half of the spring in place while I "walked" the rest into position with a large screwdriver. Then I was able to roll it the rest of the way until it was captured by the small tangs on the drum.

Thanks for the suggestions you gave.

brakedrumsolution.jpg.29f7299979fbc6ba1f1bc719c01ad10e.jpg

Edited by Erndog (see edit history)
  • Like 11

59 minutes ago, pmhowe said:

What is the purpose of the spring? To dampen brake squeal?

From page 41 of the 1930 Buick "Specifications and Adjustments" book, "A coil spring is wound about each drum to aid in heat dissipation and in the reduction of brake noises."

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/28/2023 at 2:13 PM, Erndog said:

From page 41 of the 1930 Buick "Specifications and Adjustments" book, "A coil spring is wound about each drum to aid in heat dissipation and in the reduction of brake noises."

You learn something new every day if you take the time! 

• Like 2