1964 1B Heavy Duty Spring Option how to tell

Deanoko

I looked at the discussion on another thread but couldn't find it again about stock ride height on the first gens.

I have a very original 1 owner prior to me car with wire wheels.  The car has 21 options that I know of.

My question here is how can I tell if I have the heavy duty spring option?  Is it on the Fisher Cowl tag?  

My car sits with the wheel cap centers about 1½" below the trim strip.  Others have said it should line up with the trim.  I don't think they have ever been swapped or otherwise modified.  

Is there and color or tag indicator?

Thanks.

Deano0218230932.jpg.9fdde4715172e4d493217b5e0cec50e9.jpg

The HD Spring option, from GM does NOT affect ride height, just ride firmness and how much the rear end might drop when a load of passengers and/or cargo is onboard.  This option would include ALL FOUR springs, not just the erar ones.

IF there might be a paper tape still wrapped around one of the coils in the spring (very not likely at this time), the other way is to measure the diameter of the spring's "wire" and also the uninstalled free length, then compare them to factory specs.

As for cosmetics, the rocker panel of the car should be parallel with the road surface, not angled one way of the other.  The GS cars had a different suspension calibration from the non-GS cars, with a ride height that was about 1/2" lower.

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

Car sits level this way but I just completed a KW engine swap in after removing a good LT 65 401.  No idea how that got in there ... Maybe the car now needs to re-squat. 

I can measure the wire but will not go to the trouble to measure the unsprung height.   Will also look for any tags.  Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Deanoko said:

I looked at the discussion on another thread but couldn't find it again about stock ride height on the first gens.

I have a very original 1 owner prior to me car with wire wheels.  The car has 21 options that I know of.

My question here is how can I tell if I have the heavy duty spring option?  Is it on the Fisher Cowl tag?  

My car sits with the wheel cap centers about 1½" below the trim strip.  Others have said it should line up with the trim.  I don't think they have ever been swapped or otherwise modified.  

Is there and color or tag indicator?

Thanks.

Deano0218230932.jpg.9fdde4715172e4d493217b5e0cec50e9.jpg

Dean,

As stated, if you are lucky enough to find the paper tags on the spring, they will have a part number and/or a two letter alpha character which I can decode for you. In the fronts, look for the paper tag wrapped around the coils up in the frame spring pocket.

Tom

To answer part of your original question, “No, the H2 option does not show up on the data plate.”  Only options installed at Fisher body appear on the data plate.  Other options were applied once the body moved out of the body shop and to the final assembly.  Gord Wolfgang wrote a couple of articles on the assembly of cats as they progressed through the assembly process and how different sub assemblies were “married” along the line.  It would be especially obvious if you looked at a 2nd generation car.  Those bodies were built in Euclid, Ohio then shipped to Flint, MI for final assembly - chassis, engine, front clip, and finishing touches.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have to road test  , and drive  a car like this,---as soon as you  get in the seat  and  drive  you will 

know,   at the seat of   your pants.

Back  in 1993 , while living in Sacramento  i purchased a 1967 Riviera  stock standard, green with a  black vinly roof

the owner said it had heavy duty  springs fitted,   so when i went  to   inspect car   all was   ok,   but as soon as i drove

it , it was very stiff ride , but  in those days  i did not mind  though i would probably  change  those springs out, and then 

i already owned a  69 Electra convertible  and 65 Riviera,  as well.

But every time  my wife would drive it  she  would complain about it ,,so i resold it in about 2 months.

6 hours ago, RivNut said:

Those bodies were built in Euclid, Ohio then shipped to Flint, MI for final assembly - chassis, engine, front clip, and finishing touches.

As Ed indicated above, the first and second generation Riviera bodies came out of the Euclid Ohio Fisher Body plant.

The EUC letters stamped on their data plates refers to this.

Jim Vesely

ROA # 7437

BCA # 39477

3 hours ago, Deanoko said:

Rivnut,

I show H2 as cornering lights on a printed ROA list of 64 Riviera options I have, and 1B as HD springs and shocks all around.  Point me to your source please. Happy to be corrected. 

I’m not saying that your car does not have those options. All I’m saying is that only options installed at the Fisher Body plant (hence the Fisher Body data plate) are on the data plate.  I know that on my ‘63, the data plate does not list a lot of options that show up on the window sticker.  If you read the articles written by Mr. Wolfgang, all of this will be authenticated.  

Here’s a picture of the body of a 1963 Riviera on the assembly line in Flint, MI.  The body is on a mule headed to a different facility for final assembly.  The body on the mule is complete with its interior, glass, and any wiring that might be required for other options to be installed during final assembly.  Note the absence of a chassis, any running gear, and the front clip.  The data plate only supports the body at this point.  It’s been prepped for a radio, but it doesn’t say which one - AM, FM, or Wonderbar AM. The designated radio would be noted on the build sheet which accompanies the car along the lines.  The Chassis comes from one shop, the engine from another, then the transmission, these and other items are married as sub assemblies then the body is dropped on that sub assembly then the front clip and other items are installed.  I’m trying to remember exactly what Gord Wolfgang’s articles put together in which order, I may be off a little, but you’ll get the big picture.

BC24B0F5-3B19-4629-A464-0EB08EDBCFB9.jpeg.0981c5ce6aa1ac008991dcd02c86e12c.jpeg

• Like 2