1940 Ford Deluxe Convertible $31,500

Looks like fun!  More pics in ad...reply through website

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1940-ford-deluxe-convertible-coupe.1284352/

Coming out of recent long term ownership. A very original 40 convertible coupe. Southern car and rust free. Everything is working as it should and the car is ready for its next caretaker. Manual transmission with good clutch. Has updated larger drum brakes. Good tires as well. The paint is largely original along with all of the glass and brightwork. The top is new. Interior has been restored. Many more photos available.

dsc_0242-jpg.5632662dsc_0290-jpg.5632664dsc_0269-jpg.5632673dsc_0520-jpg.5632674dsc_0342-jpg.5632685dsc_0354-jpg.5632686

• Like 3

1940 Ford DeLuxe dashboards all came two tone maroon and champagne regardless of body color.   Ford had other names for these dash colors but you can look that up.  Standard models had a monotone dash and different instrumentation faces.

If this is a partial "survivor" in the HPOF sense, it is probably a heckuva deal.   

WOW, that's a pretty car and the price is nice too! However the seller says he's going to list on BAT.

My experience with selling wasn't great. First the listing process, from BAT approving the vehicle to actually going live was quite lengthy. Then as I remember it's a 5 to 7 day auction, The last day is where all the bidding heated up and finally the car sells or should I say the highest bid comes in and the auction ends. But there is nothing the auction house can do to make sure the highest bidder ultimately pays his winning bid price as was the case with my auction. I ended taking the 2nd bidders price which was lower! So when you see that winning bid dollar amount you have to wonder if the seller actually got paid. Moreover BAT won't allow the vehicle to be relisted due to a flakey buyer!

Edited by deac (see edit history)
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, deac said:

So when you see that winning bid dollar amount you have to wonder if the seller actually got paid. Moreover BAT won't allow the vehicle to be relisted due to a flakey buyer!

Thanks for the explanation. The whole thing almost sounds like it's a little too iffy for comfort. 

We might sell your car and you might get paid. Just send money for a wonderful experience. 

Edited by Fossil (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, deac said:

Moreover BAT won't allow the vehicle to be relisted due to a flakey buyer!

I dont know how it works but I have seen some BAT auctions that say; they are being relisted due to a non-paying bidder and that the non payment was not due to any misrepresentation of the car and that the bidder has been banned and their buying fees have not been refunded. 

Is this all true? I dont know, but it is shown in the second auction listing. 

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)

30 minutes ago, m-mman said:

I dont know how it works but I have seen some BAT auctions that say; they are being relisted due to a non-paying bidder and that the non payment was not due to any misrepresentation of the car and that the bidder has been banned and their buying fees have not been refunded. 

Is this all true? I dont know, but it is shown in the second auction listing. 

That option might exist but BAT never offered that to me....

16 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

Should have just priced it at the 31500 and left it there,  Actually got a little less for it with the fees and the buyer had to pay more,  for really nothing.   It would have easily sold on it's own for the initial price. 

I agree with this statement completely if the car was as good as it looked in the pictures.  The original $31,500 price and ability to talk directly to the seller, inspect and drive the car, and identify the pros and cons are all valuable to the buyer.  Sometimes an auction is a good way for a seller to wash their hands of a car which looks great but still has issues; the auction provides a degree of separation from the buyer.  Which is one of the reasons that some auction buyers back out of purchases…

Edited by kar3516 (see edit history)

You never know what you're going to get in an auction. Seems to me if that car was of the caliber of restoration that is proposed to be in it sold too cheap. Buyer got a good deal. I don't think it's a good time to sell a car like that because of the times the country and the world are in.

• Like 2