How long was your restoration project?

Crusty Trucker

On 4/10/2023 at 11:55 PM, Bloo said:

Hey @ramair and @Echofivelima, there is a thread going about the 36 Olds Six engine going on in the Oldsmobile section right now. Did either of you have to replace the water distribution tube? If so, where did you get it? The thread is here: https://forums.aaca.org/topic/395056-1936-oldsmobile-f36-water-pump/

Bloo, I did not have to replace the water distribution tube, but thank you for the link to that discussion. As I had many of the same questions when I had the water pump off. 

• Like 1

On 4/11/2023 at 9:02 PM, Tph479 said:

Your good buddy has the finest and most brassy brass era car I have ever seen. I always remind him that his Locomobile is one of the most stunning restorations that I have ever seen on any car. The entire car is breathtaking, not just the engine. I’m looking forward to seeing this masterpiece of art outside in the sun. Kudos to a job well done. Tim should be very, very, very proud of his work.  

Flattery will get you 2 guys everywhere.  Thanks for the compliments.  

I picked up my 26 Chrysler in April 2021.

I first drove it just over a year later!

A couple of months later on the road and since have driven hundreds of miles.

Looking at the before photo  I dont know how I did it!

As you can see the prewar ute conversion as it belonged to one farming family until recent years. Luckily it was in central NSW which is a low rainfall wheatbelt area so it was no rust car. This car shall remain as a ute.

My speedy project was with thanks to the previous owner had the panel work primed ready for paint. The motor, gearbox, starter, Genny an much more fully professionally rebuilt.

This will be a rolling restoration, so it will never be finished. But on the meantime I am driving and enjoying this car.

Screenshot_20221221-081104~2.png

IMG_20230120_190209.jpg

• Like 1

It's not uncommon for car restoration projects to take longer than initially planned, especially if it's a passion project that's done in someone's spare time. The reasons for delays can vary widely, from financial constraints, availability of parts, or lack of motivation, to unexpected life events.

In some cases, a car restoration project may span several decades, with the owner chipping away at it slowly over time. While it's commendable to see someone holding onto a dream and pursuing it for years, it's also essential to have realistic expectations and a solid plan in place.

Setting goals and breaking the project into smaller, manageable steps can help prevent the project from dragging on indefinitely. Seeking help from professionals or experienced hobbyists can also be beneficial.

Ultimately, the reward for completing a long-term car restoration project is the satisfaction of seeing a once-neglected or non-functioning vehicle brought back to its former glory. While there may not be a tangible prize or trophy for the longest-running project, the sense of accomplishment is often reward enough.

51 minutes ago, Aussi John 1 said:

I've done two full ground up body off restorations , the first one was on my 11935 Studebaker Commander Eight and the second on my Brooklands Studebaker President Eight. Each car took fourteen years.

35 bw unrestored.jpg

A35 41.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

Copy of T291404061.JPG

Worth the wait beautiful cars

On 4/13/2023 at 10:26 PM, locoman said:

Flattery will get you 2 guys everywhere.  Thanks for the compliments.  

Great automobile, great skills, tenacity, patience, historical understanding + 44 years = the most perfect car imaginable. If you can you should see it. 

I took 5 years to restore my 77 trans am. Lots of metal work, car torn completely down. Not a single bolt untouched. I wasnt looking but found a 79 trans am. It was solid, no rust and had all of the good parts with it. It looked to me like a quick paint job, motor rebuild and bam I had a car I could sell for 10X what I paid. 6 years later it still sits in the corner of the shop. The motor is all but finished after a 3 yr rebuild. I was right on one account, the body and paint took about 3 months and it has been in that state since. What was gonna be a quick 'flip' ended up with me sourcing every part to be factory correct, and the inspiration to be an AACA car. My goal now is to get it ready for Hershey. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, George K said:

Great automobile, great skills, tenacity, patience, historical understanding + 44 years = the most perfect car imaginable. If you can you should see it. 

I was reminded it didn’t take 44 years to restore but 44 years of ownership. That said the reminder came as the owner was outlining the things that needed to sorted out yet.