Should I stay or should I go?

ReattaPDX

Hi All.  My quandary is this...... I am the proud owner of a 1988 Coupe.  Early production with suede bolsters and I have it kept it up pretty well considering.  It has roughly 70-80000 miles on it and she has been running good the last couple of years as I sold my last car and dumped the proceeds into the Reatta.

It has never been driven much, and even less now that I am semi-retired and we have a newish Genesis sedan.  My driving of ‘any’ car has been minimal for the past few years, and frankly I have lost the love of driving and don’t even like  being on a freeway.  I think that being a professional driver for so long kind of shook me a bit.

The quandary is this.  I am “retired “ but I also have no $ coming in, and can’t get SS for a couple years.  I hate trying to pay for insurance, maintenance and registration if I am not using it and have to dip into our joint savings.  

Realistically, what can a 1988 bring on the market now?  I have done some, a lot, of recent work on it including paint and interior, but it has a couple flaws and is not a show car.  It is white without a sunroof, and it has been an Oregon car all of its life.

Here is a picture of the interior:

D5BB8363-66B3-4EC3-BDED-8CFE7CA7F3FC.jpeg.6a9b5250394652ec555db7096ce091d4.jpeg

Edited by ReattaPDX (see edit history)

I think you answered all the questions we might ask.  

However,  If you are under the age for SS,  you have a lot of years left and you need something to keep you busy/occupied. 

I retired in 1998 and figured I had 30 years of projects.... here we are at 2023 and I probably have 25 projects but realistically 

there are some my mind wants to do but my body refuses. 

Since you already have the Reatta,  don't rush into disposing of it.... keep it maintained and take it to local car shows.  You probably 

will not win any trophys but you can educate people about the Reatta..... and the value may be creeping up. 

Congratulations on the Genesis.

• Like 4

Yeah I might just take off the liability insurance and “garage it” on my wife’s policy.  I have already let the registration lapse, so I am already half way there in temporarily abandoning it.  I love the car but it seems silly to keep everything up if it only gets 100 miles a year on it tops.  

Luckily I have a place to safety park it.

24 minutes ago, Y-JobFan said:

If you have another car that you drive for regular use (in your name) you may want to look into classic car insurance, much cheaper 

I don’t.  The Genesis is in my wife’s name......though I talked her into buying it as she had never even heard of the brand previous.

3 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

I think you answered all the questions we might ask.  

However,  If you are under the age for SS,  you have a lot of years left and you need something to keep you busy/occupied. 

I retired in 1998 and figured I had 30 years of projects.... here we are at 2023 and I probably have 25 projects but realistically 

there are some my mind wants to do but my body refuses. 

Since you already have the Reatta,  don't rush into disposing of it.... keep it maintained and take it to local car shows.  You probably 

will not win any trophys but you can educate people about the Reatta..... and the value may be creeping up. 

Congratulations on the Genesis.

You are right Barney.  I have been trying to will myself into getting back interest in my old hobbies and such, but it ain’t working!  I am not ‘that’ old, still haven’t reached 60, but close, but I have packed a lot into those 59 years.  Some good and some bad, but at some point I think I burned myself out.  Even my large collection of A/V equipment and music goes untouched.

Maybe I just need a good kick in the seat of my pants.  Any takers? :)

The worst thing you can do at retirement is sit in the recliner and watch TV or try to catch up on all the sleep you lost

over the years.    If nothing else,  volunteer at church, hospital, library  etc. 

• Like 1

OK, I have had JCTaylor for many years, Hagerty also gets good reviews, also American Collector

You do not need to OWN another car, you just need to have a different "daily driver".

For the last 10 years before I retired, I was a telecommuter. Are many such jobs now as the baby boomers are retiring.

Also a few years ago I "cut the cord" and only get Internet and phones from the cable company. Amazon Prime, Disney Plus, Motor Trend +, and Sling Blue are less than half what my cable bill was.

If a veteran, many offer discounts.

ps kids are fascinated by a touchscream in an 88.

pps agree, Korea has replaced Japan for quality cars and Hyundais (Genesis) are made in Alabammy.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

14 hours ago, ReattaPDX said:

You are right Barney.  I have been trying to will myself into getting back interest in my old hobbies and such, but it ain’t working!  I am not ‘that’ old, still haven’t reached 60, but close, but I have packed a lot into those 59 years.  Some good and some bad, but at some point I think I burned myself out.  Even my large collection of A/V equipment and music goes untouched.

Maybe I just need a good kick in the seat of my pants.  Any takers? :)

59?  I have kids older than you!    I will keep my "old" car till the bitter end!    I, too, was a professional driver,  if you are referring to truck driving.  Hung the keys up a  MONTH PAST 72.

Ben

5 hours ago, jonlabree said:

You could always get a job.

Well I ‘had’ a job up until 2015 or so.  Then I left it to be my moms full-time caretaker for over five years.  She has dementia, and I really wasn’t really prepared for it.  And my family wasn’t too much of a help either as far as moral support, and it turned into a 24/7 job.

The whole thing got ugly, and I think that I was just glad to do nothing after all that stress.  Plus I had been working since my early teen years with no real break in-between, and being her caretaker really did a number on me.  My wife said that I looked like a holocaust survivor by the end.

So you can see why I wasn’t fired up to jump back into the workforce after that..... and especially at that age and right in the middle of Covid-19.  I still have other interests, but they just shifted slightly.  I just lost a bit of my youthful “gung-ho” attitude towards work, not to mention my fickle long term history of hobby mongering.  

Best to keep it on a classic car policy and drive it a little from time-to-time as opportunity allows.  Sitting unused for long periods - even garaged - isn't kind to cars like yours.  It would be a shame to have to start the 'recommissioning' all over again...  ;)

Interesting. Now that I have more toys than ever dreamed of and also have an empty nest so keep adding garage doors. However Orlando traffic has become a nightmare (used to take 20 minutes to get to Old Town (car shows), now is over an hour). Used to like stick shifts, now just one is left, rest are automagics.

Also like small overpowered roadsters but ginormous current SAVs and lifted Pick-em-ups can't see me in the next lane (OTOH 150db air horns help).

Modern times.