The smallest Buick

Leif in Calif

I'm reading Walter L. Marr, Buick's Amazing Engineer   It's a very good read and covers up to WWI. One fascinating topic covered is Buick's "Cycle Car". Cycle cars were an idea to make a very inexpensive car that would be (by necessity)  also very small. In the US they have a very brief run and never were able to compete with Ford on price. They lasted much longer in the UK due to their taxation structure. Buick's chief engineer (Walter Marr) built a prototype in 1914 but it was far too nice to ever be built a the price that would make it attractive. The feature I found charming was the track was 36 inches so "you could drive it through the garden gate and park it on the porch". Of course that mean tandem seating, another impediment to sales. image.jpeg.f716b73126013e2c5ad6e925878d5de2.jpeg

• Like 4

We had the Marr Cycle Car on display at our 2000 Buick National in Richmond. 

Edited by Frank DuVal
Wrong information given (see edit history)

58 minutes ago, Leif in Calif said:

I'm reading Walter L. Marr, Buick's Amazing Engineer   It's a very good read and covers up to WWI. One fascinating topic covered is Buick's "Cycle Car". Cycle cars were an idea to make a very inexpensive car that would be (by necessity)  also very small. In the US they have a very brief run and never were able to compete with Ford on price. They lasted much longer in the UK due to their taxation structure. Buick's chief engineer (Walter Marr) built a prototype in 1914 but it was far too nice to ever be built a the price that would make it attractive. The feature I found charming was the track was 36 inches so "you could drive it through the garden gate and park it on the porch". Of course that mean tandem seating, another impediment to sales. image.jpeg.f716b73126013e2c5ad6e925878d5de2.jpeg

I met the Marr family and stood by the car in 2008. It was not running well and acted like dirt in the fuel system. It was suppose to be right in front of the Charteruse Lady but was not running well enough. When I came down the line and got near the camera the fellow announcing was chatting about the Marr cycle car and said here it is. But it wasn't. The car still exists with the Marr family.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dave39MD said:

Dave,

I wondered if the cycle car finished it was really hot that day. I saw it near the front when everyone was milling around for the start. My car was back in line from you in the 1939 section. Fun day.

Dave

As I remember it did not make it though the parade. I chatted with the Marr family through the time we were there for the event.

Well that picture of the Buick Bug was not the car in our lobby. It was the Marr Cycle Car that was brought to the 2000 Buick National. I checked with another fellow AACA and Buick club person to make sure. 

I edited my earlier incorrect statement. 😁. I’m sure not the last time as memory gets more distant. 🤣

• Thanks 1

As the Marr cycle car wasn't really a Buick I guess the real 'smallest Buick' was the Model 14 from circa 1911. A now late acquaintance of mine restored this one in New Zealand in the 1970s. I rode in it with him once in 1982. I recall him saying it was the worst car he had ever owned. Photo taken in 1980 at the VCC NZ International rally in Rotorua. Photo credit Stephen Satherley on Flickr.

11 Buick Model 14 Bill Miller Rotorua 0280 Sath Flickr.jpeg

• Like 1