1971 Mercedes Benz 250C $5,000

Marketplace - 1971 Mercedes-Benz 250C | Facebook

Seller's Description

Color is actually more a light blue pearl. Original owner was an old man who would drive it to and from work on the west coast. His widower wife sold it to my grandfather. It’s been sitting in my garage ever since. Only damage is that little dent on the side when a tractor ran into it. All of its wheels have rotted, so it’s on jackstands. The engine hasn’t ran in probably close to a decade either. No rust. Still in great shape. Best offer gets the car. You must come and get it
Product photo of 1971 Mercedes-Benz 250C

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

...there is nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes (Jag, Rolls,....fill in the blank).

I know you're correct, Kerry, but I'm amazed at the exceptionally low prices on many running and very decent looking 15 - 20 year old BMW's, Mercedes and Jaguars out there. And sometimes...just a little tempted. 😄

When they get as old as this Mercedes, however, it seems to me that the prices start going up. Seems like a good price here, though I may be wrong. Dent aside, it's a cool looking car in a nice color.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Leif in Calif said:

This has Bosch mechanical fuel injection. If it sits for a long period (like this) it's REALLY expensive (learned the hard way). 

Not correct .If this is a 250C as the ad says its a carburator version .If it was a 250CE version then it is a electronic injection with a big computer system build in .The mechanical injection systems all stopped in 1971.

• Like 1

If I were mechanically inclined I might take a chance on something of this vintage (although I admit I know nothing about these cars mechanically wise) assuming that it is not full of electronic stuff. I think that is the kiss of death to the cars that are 15-25 yrs old. I have a nice ML320 sitting in my barn. The motor runs strong and when parked the car was pretty decent. However there was a computer problem that kept killing the motor. It was going to be more expensive to fix than what it was worth. IF I had the knowledge I would do a transplant with a modern honda motor!!

Yet another right car wrong time for me.  I had a 1973 250C project car, along with a 1985 BMW 635 project car, and bailed on both of them.   Both were designed by Paul Bracq.  

1972 Mercedes-Benz 250C

1972 Mercedes-Benz 250C

Paul Bracq signatures - in a nutshell - were thin roof pillars to optimize glass and minimize the boxy nature of Mercedes, less so on the BMW.  

These are well styled cars, that are either restored and enjoyed in collections or are like the one in the ad.  $5,000?  Not sure for me but I am a cheapskate.  

• Like 2

These old Mercedes Benz cars are alluring. A 250C or CE looks nice but my favorite affordable MBZ is the 280SE with 4.5L motor.  But there's something about buying these late 60's early 70's cars that stops me from buying these cars, it's the Bosch injection system!  I asked independent MBZ repair shops if they work them and everyone I have asked said no.  They always say the know of someone who does. That response does not exude much confidence in me so I won't buy one. I'll stick to what I know... Fords, Buicks and Pontiacs.

Edited by deac (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, deac said:

These old Mercedes Benz cars are alluring. A 250C or CE looks nice but my favorite affordable MBZ is the 280SE with 4.5L motor.  But there's something about buying these late 60's early 70's cars that stops me from buying these cars, it's the Bosch injection system!  I asked independent MBZ repair shops if they work them and everyone I have asked said no.  They always say the know of someone who does. That response does not exude much confidence in me so I won't buy one. I'll stick to what I know... Fords, Buicks and Pontiacs.

If it's the mechanical system, I believe there are only two shops in the US who can rebuild the pump. One in the San Francisco area and one on the East Coast. Once done they are very trouble free, but that expertise doesn't come cheap! Apparently this car has a carburetor, so that's a lot easier.  

Years ago I bought a solid 1971 MB 250C, running and driving for $75.

Since my father-in-law had his 1972 250 4-door sedan, it was a natural fit.

It was carbureted - Not Injected !

As I recall, I considered it a minor "muscle car", if only because it had the body size of the 220 platform, but the engine of the 280 series (of course I could be completely wrong!).

Decent but uninspired, at least after owning many Citroen products - I let it go to a friend.