Hufstader’s really really bad day

I pulled this out of my library and obviously it struck a nerve in 1939. The letter " When better cars are built" was first sent to Sunset Garage in Tillamook Oregon March 29, 1939. The following correspondence was sent in reaction to the March letter. Some of the allegations are true, but exdurated. Obviously the person writing the letter knew 39 Buicks well. 

There was a brutal rivalry between car makers and also between GM divisions in the 30s and early 40s. After talking to old timers years ago I think this letter was a result of that

rivalry.

Thanks

Leif 

• Like 2

My '39 BUICK Special 4-door (early manufacture) had the dealer-installed stub frame repair extensions in place. They were well-engineered, and quite sturdy. Plus, the installation was a bolt-on for the local BUICK dealer. Less than a half-day of labor for one mechanic at the most, I would think. John

Edited by Jolly_John (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Wow, that's some serious detective work. Without knowing the backstory, I would have dismissed that as some sort of crackpot with too much time on his hands. These guys traced the origins of the watermarks in the paper. That's "Dick Tracy" stuff. 

• Like 3