Self-Walking vehicle?

Gerczak

Believe it or not? I came across this image with the following claims on the web.  Anybody heard of such a thing?

"1868. CDV photograph of the American inventor’s “steam man,” an early human-like robot designed to pull a cart. This profile view depicts the complicated mechanics that powered the automaton. Dedrick patented his invention – a proto-robot in many ways – in 1868. The Steam Man was attached to a carriage and could be steered by the operator from behind; the articulated legs were powered by a boiler system mounted to the back of the figure and were used to power the machine. The Newark Advertiser reported on the invention on January 23, 1868: “In order to prevent the “giant” from frightening horses by its wonderful appearance Mr. Dedrick intends to clothe it and give it as nearly as possible a likeness to the rest of humanity. The boiler, and such parts as are necessarily heated, will be encased in felt and woolen undergarments. Pantaloons, coat and vest, of the latest styles, are provided. Whenever the fire needs coaling, which is every two or three hours, the driver stops the machine, descends from his seat, unbuttons “Daniel’s” vest, opens a door, shovels in the fuel, buttons up the vest and drives on.”

image.png.4dfbd696c6715ff4c4571f25e59cf106.png

• Like 3

quite amazing !........i guess the top hat would be the chimney ?......and i wonder where the spent steam comes out ?.......the rear ?..........but all i can think of is ......why ?.........i saw something about the first horseless carriages also having a imitation horse on the front too 

Invention based on The Steam Man of the Prairies novel - was one of the first U.S. science fiction novels.

The Steam Man of the Prairies (1868) Spotlight | Nickels and Dimes (niu.edu)

Can read it online: 

The Project Gutenberg E-text of The Huge Hunter, by Edward S. Ellis

default.jpg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Off topic a bit, I worked for Ken Jacuzzi years ago on a job at his personal residence and he told me the story of how his father invented the Jacuzzi to help with his treatment. I know this is a novel but in reality families that suffer with extreme pain or physical limitations will do whatever it takes to help a loved one. 

He was an incredible man, whenever I see things like this I think of Ken often as it was a true honor to meet him and get to know him and his family history. 
RIP Ken 

I’d recommend the book “Jaccuzzi - A fathers invention to ease his sons pain”. I guarantee you’ll never hear the word Jacuzzi without recalling this great man. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Off topic a bit, I worked for Ken Jacuzzi years ago on a job at his personal residence and he told me the story of how his father invented the Jacuzzi to help with his treatment. I know this is a novel but in reality families that suffer with extreme pain or physical limitations will do whatever it takes to help a loved one. 

He was an incredible man, whenever I see things like this I think of Ken often as it was a true honor to meet him and get to know him and his family history. 
RIP Ken 

I’d recommend the book “Jaccuzzi - A fathers invention to ease his sons pain”. I guarantee you’ll never hear the word Jacuzzi without recalling this great man. 

Invent something, the word gets out, the world beats a path to your door.  

Same was true for Betty Nesmith, (mother of Peter Nesmith, of Monkees fame) invented what became Liquid Paper while working in her office.  She needed a faster way to correct typing mistakes, and came up with a fast-drying correcting fluid which everyone in her entire office wanted.  Someone suggested she put it on the market, which she did.  A few years later, Gillette bought her out for something like $45 million.

Craig

• Like 1