Did the '52 Skylark prototype survive?

roadmaster_56

Not sure if its still around but I couldn't figure out why 

the 52 looked so much larger than the 53 .

LIGHTBULB goes off . The 52 Roadmaster had a

STRAIGHT EIGHT engine thus a 5" longer hood 

and front fenders .

Also the 53 pictured may be a prototype , tailpipe exited

on the right side on 53 and the left side on 52 .

Just useless info LOL

Bill

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, billbuickgs said:

Hi Bill:

"Also the 53 pictured may be a prototype , tailpipe exited

on the right side on 53 and the left side on 52 ".

A bit of photo trickery....I flipped the bottom photo to match the top one.....the '53 should be a production version.

1 hour ago, billbuickgs said:

• Haha 1

I noticed several differences which may be incorrect if the 52's picture is art work vs an actual photo.  In no particular order:

The vent windows on the '53 are longer. See the point at the top. 

The top body line "dip" on the '53 appears to be located further aft, by about 3- 4 inches.  Subtle but I like the 52's better

The rear fender welt is visible on the '53, and not on the '52.  Makes a more seamless transition

The '53 appears to have no top mechanism under the convertible boot.  Makes it look sloppy vs the taut boot on the '52

The rear most sweep-spear runs higher on the '53 vs the '52.  The '52's makes it look like they were thinking the sweep spear would match the curve on the door more, while the 53 matches the spear on the front fender.  Obviously different for the curvature of the '53 rear fender, but I think the 52's looks more like a sports car.

I think the '53 is a car being restored.  Again, appears to have no top mechanism, and the gaps in the rocker panels under the door. I am not sure if those gaps should be there and or if those gaps should be painted body color.  But the '52 does not appear to have these and again, that just makes it look seamless.  That is also why I am thinking it is an art picture vs the real thing.

I think the '53 Skylark is a real work of art in itself, but I am mesmerized by the '52.  I think it looks fantastic! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, roadmaster_56 said:

Below are a couple of period renderings.....where the artist made everything "longer, lower and wider".....   Also below is the link to the production Skylark photo featured in my original post.

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1953-BUICK-SKYLARK-CONVERTIBLE-191079

1953-Buick-advert.jpg

1953-buick-skylark-convertible-model-76x-hb.jpg

Yikes. They made that longer than my 72 Electra!  I see the small(ish) yellow one at the top shows the kick up right behind the rear edge of the front door.  The white renditions have it closer to the pictured one in the original post.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

From a Hemmings article on the Skylark.

"Ned F. Nickles (head of Buick's design studio) liked his European sports cars. At various times, he owned an MG TD and a TC, as well as an Italian Siata.....

Nickels also owned a brand-new open-top 1951 Buick Roadmaster convertible, built by his employer.……. So, according to a story by (multi-time Indy 500 champ) Wilbur Shaw in the October 1952 issue of Popular Science, Nickles began sketching out some modifications he could make to his Roadmaster's body that would incorporate styling cues from across the Atlantic.

Nickles finished drawing his sporty Buick on May 3, 1951, and, the next day, Buick General Manager Ivan L. Wiles spotted the fresh artwork. Wiles' reaction, according to Popular Science? "I want one of those cars!" It was a stroke of genius on Nickles' part. heels......

After a prototype made a successful outing as a show car, the production version hit showrooms in time for Buick's 50th-anniversary celebration, carrying a lofty $5,000 price tag......."

complete article

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/1953-buick-skylark-3

• 2 weeks later...

This partial page from a shiny-paper magazine article 70+ years ago got me started on my soon to be published: Big Al’s Top 100 Ugliest Rumors About The 1953 Buick Skylark Model 76X Convertible That You Will Ever Want To Read While Sitting At Your Kitchen Table.

1-Scan-001.jpg.75da0f1709e3424292d5cd287cbd5106.jpg

How high can you count?

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Great photo....If I had craftsman level welding skills (which I don't) and a spare Roadmaster, I'd be tempted to recreate this beauty.  Perhaps a YouTube project for someone out there with the talent and funds.

Both cars are really stunning in their own ways.......gotta have one........................someday.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, roadmaster_56 said:

Great photo....If I had craftsman level welding skills (which I don't) and a spare Roadmaster, I'd be tempted to recreate this beauty.  Perhaps a YouTube project for someone out there with the talent and funds.

Both cars are really stunning in their own ways.......gotta have one........................someday.

jus doit 

• Like 1