For Sale: 1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible, manual shift - $10,000 - Atlanta, GA - Not Mine

For Sale: 1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible, manual shift - $10,000 - Atlanta, GA

1966 rambler classic 770 convertible - cars & trucks - by owner -... (craigslist.org)
Seller's Description:

Pros:
* garage kept
* convertible motor works & no tears
* no leaks, engine purrs
* body in great shape, one spot looks not as great, see pic
* LED lights, Bluetooth stereo
* Great Sunday rider, top down, literally people stopping you saying - Is that a RAMBLER!!??
Cons:
* Convertible window missing but can be easily replaced
Copy and paste in your email: fead3eff00b437038d09c09e3225864d@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible.

'66 Rambler Classic 770 conv GA a.jpg

'66 Rambler Classic 770 conv GA b.jpg

'66 Rambler Classic 770 conv GA c.jpg

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

Is it even made now?  I have never even seen a shop advertising to do it

Sure. One source: https://www.convertibletopguys.com/convertible/1855/1966-AMC-Rambler-Classic-Ambassador

I would replace the full top along with the window. The labor is about the same as just replacing the window. And who knows how much longer that top is going to hold up. 

Cool car. Maybe. The ad is awful. How hard is it to take some decent pics?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gearheadengineer said:

Cool car. Maybe. The ad is awful. How hard is it to take some decent pics?

Apparent from the majority of Craigslist advertisers I find when searching for interesting old cars, there is a terrible lack of photographic skills rife in the general population.   The simple act of framing the horizontal subject completely in the view finder is almost completely lacking.  What's worse is holding the camera vertically when photographing the horizontal subject so the image comes out the size of a postage stamp.  And they no doubt wonder why they get little or no response and no sale...

On 1/1/2023 at 12:35 PM, Brooklyn Beer said:

Is it even made now?  I have never even seen a shop advertising to do it

Yes, a shop which does convertible tops can do this.

My trimmer replaced a rear vinyl window on one of our convertibles just a couple of years back, when the top was ok but the plastic was damaged,

and also replaced the glass rear window o our '70 Caddy convertible when a new top wasn't needed, but the glass had separated from the surrounding support vinyl.

14 minutes ago, Marty Roth said:

Yes, a shop which does convertible tops can do this.

My trimmer replaced a rear vinyl window on one of our convertibles just a couple of years back, when the top was ok but the plastic was damaged,

and also replaced the glass rear window o our '70 Caddy convertible when a new top wasn't needed, but the glass had separated from the surrounding support vinyl.

He had made mention of Isenglas.  That is what I was refering too

• Like 1

Just now, Brooklyn Beer said:

He had made mention ofThat is what I was refering too

Mea Culpa - Sorry,

I missed that and just assumed plastic/clear vinyl, which would have been the original. Maybe he should just have said "Plastic"

but that would remind me of opening advice in "The Graduate", and that might lead me to an Alfa-Romeo Duetto - I just keep getting deeper and deeper?

As I recall, Isenglass  was a generic trade name for the see-through material of side curtains, dating back to the 19th century. The name was made popular in the musical Oklahoma, in the song "Surry with the Fringe on Top" - Isenglass curtains you can roll right down in case there's a change in the weather.

Here's a link to the topic:

https://www.sailrite.com/What-Is-Isinglass-Clear-Window-Material?gclid=CjwKCAiAwc-dBhA7EiwAxPRylOzUkIKZHb7SJ8pdHgAaylyP06oFymax-dYCeE_V0cD0kSzDfPVkdxoC6lkQAvD_BwE